Working with Multis

Questions about your PC3/PC3K/PC3LE/SP4/SP5 keyboard? Somebody might have the answers here.

Working with Multis

Postby Jefsong » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a Forte for live work and am very confused about setting up some very basic functions in Multis. I was hoping someone could help me out.

My setup is that I have an external keyboard triggering Forte sounds on midi channel 3. I got that working however I can't figure out how to get the mod wheel on the Forte to control on midi channel 3? I have been using Yamaha Motifs for years and setting up something like is easy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeffrey Bryan
http://www.jeffreybryanmusic.com
Basement roach
Basement roach

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Working with Multis

Postby DaveBeta » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:36 am

I've been working with Multis recently and I've come to the conclusion that you can't do this. From what I can understand, the logic is that the 'controllers' section is used to define just what the incoming controller midi messages are and how they should be handled, but the actual controllers themselves are not being sent to the layer which have been defined to be responding to midi only. It makes sense if you look at it that way. In order to be able to receive controller information, we would need an input channel grouping of '1..16M+C'' to be defined. I think that that would be great - I could use another (synth action) keyboard over midi to drive the KB3 organ in a multi and still be able to use all of the KB3 controls on the Forte panel. But I do realise that it's a major feature request...

My workaround was to make the controlling keyboard send the appropriate midi message - in my case, I told my Fantom to send a midi-029 message to switch the leslie from slow to fast (variation switch on the Forte). I was a tad confused about why it was working intermittently, until I realised that I had to tell the layer that the incoming message was toggled and not momentary (or was it vice versa?). Anyway, I can now have my Fantom act as a glorified organ controller.
DaveBeta
House mouse
House mouse

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Jean_Bellefeuille » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Jefsong wrote:I have an external keyboard triggering Forte sounds on midi channel 3. I got that working however I can't figure out how to get the mod wheel on the Forte to control on midi channel 3?

If by 'working' means you employed the Forte 'Input channel' parameter that is not going to allow you to do what you want in this particular case.

To accomplish what you describe, on the Zone you presently have set to ch 3 do the following:
(MAIN page)
- leave the Input Channel on None;
- set the Notemap to Off;
- set the Destination to Local;

(CONTROLS page)
- assign the ModWheel as needed
- enable/disable any other Forte controllers you want or don't want active.

Hope this helps. Need more help, you can contact me directly here:
http://kurzweil.com/support/operational/

/JB
Jean_Bellefeuille
Kurzweil Support

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby DaveBeta » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi JP - thanks for the reply, but I'm still a little confused about getting midi data into the Forte. (and was for older Setups as well in fact).

From your explanation, it would seem that if the Input Channel is not set, then the zone responds to both the incoming 'onboard' keys/controls, and anything that is being passed to the midi input on the channel specified in the Channel parameter. So, with the Input Channel turned off (set to 'none'), then both the 'onboard' controls/keys (being set to send to 'local') are routed to the sound engine, and the turning of Notemap to 'off' means that the keys do not trigger the engine as there is no mapping for them - but the controls should still be honoured.

That sounds fine, and I think I get it.

But the beauty of using the Input Channel is that the zone still honours transpose and key range parameters - which is brilliant and just what is needed. It means that if we need those, then we have to sacrifice the local controllers, which is a real shame. Is that correct?

If it is, it's a shame - it's almost perfect ;)
DaveBeta
House mouse
House mouse

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Kurzweil Discussion