PC3 LE6 - crash bug happening again

Questions about your PC3/PC3K/PC3LE/SP4/SP5 keyboard? Somebody might have the answers here.

PC3 LE6 - crash bug happening again

Postby voodoo » Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 am

When I first got my PC3 LE6 after 1 month - it would randomly crash - usually whenever I hit the 8 pads on the front.
It was sent back fro repair and I was told this is a hardwired fault and once it had been fixed it would never happen again.

Well - since last week its started happening again - select any program play a few notes and as soon as i just happen to hit of the pads - they then all light up, a few things flash - there is no sound and it is inoperable. Power off / on - it goes away. But it is easy to recreate - select a program - hit the pads and it crashes again.

This is so annoying - especially as I have a few gigs coming up. I hardly play live any more, but the thought of it crashing mid song - is embarassing really.

I dont have any warranty on it anymore - even though the same 'known' fault has returned - anyone is there a way of disabling these 8 pads on the front of the keyboard ? - as I dont use them anyway
eCommerce websites that live in multiple websites at the same time & the #1 FaceBook eCommerce app.
SEO software & Social Media monitoring software that your competitors will hate you for
voodoo
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 8 times

Re: PC3 LE6 - crash bug happening again

Postby hipogrito » Fri May 11, 2018 8:52 am

Hi,

Clearly something was not properly fixed in your unit or it's still broken....

http://kurzweil.com/support/repair/
Regards,

Fran
http://www.hipogrito.com
Yes I work at Kurzweil but anything I write here is just on behalf of myself, not the company.
hipogrito
Site Admin

Have thanks: 349 times

Postby voodoo » Fri May 11, 2018 9:22 am

I brought the LE6 from Thomann in Germany (Im in the UK). I emailed them - they said (obvioulsy) it's out of warranty, they could look at it and would give me a quote for repair I pay for shipping there and return shipping. That will cost a lot.

I'm now trying Sound Technology PLC in the UK as they seem to be a distributor for Kurzweil in the UK.
Ive researched this problem and there are lots of mentions of it being an irregular power supply problem and that a power regulator may fix. I dont know if this is correct or not - any thoughts ?

Im waiting on Sound Technology PLC to get back to me.
eCommerce websites that live in multiple websites at the same time & the #1 FaceBook eCommerce app.
SEO software & Social Media monitoring software that your competitors will hate you for
voodoo
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby hipogrito » Fri May 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi,

If you have the Flashing LEDs problem... there is a solution. If the service center is official and have all the right information, they will know how to fix it for good.
Regards,

Fran
Yes I work at Kurzweil but anything I write here is just on behalf of myself, not the company.
hipogrito
Site Admin

Postby voodoo » Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 am

Hi Fran

Thanks - Sound Technology PLC in the UK have said they can fix , but I think at a big cost to me - Im waitiong for a quote.

Is there a document anywhere re how to fix this problem?, I have a friend who fixes amps and is an electrical engineer - I may ask him to have a look at it.

This problem only happens when the front panel pads are hit - is there a way I can disable these in the O/S ?
voodoo
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby happyrat1 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:53 pm

There' is a blog claiming a permanent fix for the PC3LE Blinking Lights of Death problem.

https://jirin.web.althan.cz/201705-kurz ... -solution/

Use at your own risk but i don't really see what you have to lose by trying it.

Best solution is to not buy an LE in the first place though :P

Personally I dodged a bullet 4 years ago when I almost bought a PC3LE8 myself but at the same time I could buy a PC3K8 for only $700 more and opted for the more expensive keyboard and a longer payment plan.

If I'd bought the LE instead I'd probably be kicking myself right now.

Gary ;)
happyrat1
House of Blues alligator
House of Blues alligator

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby hipogrito » Mon May 21, 2018 8:29 am

Hi,

I would go with the official technical support.
Regards,

Fran
hipogrito
Site Admin

Postby happyrat1 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 am

The official Kurzweil Service Bulletin regarding this issue is also linked on that Blog Page.

Scroll down to the bottom.

I'd say have your engineer friend try the service bulletin approach first and if that fails then try the Blog method.

Gary ;)
happyrat1
House of Blues alligator
House of Blues alligator

Postby voodoo » Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 am

That seems above my technical electrical knowledge , and possibly my engineer mate. I've asked Sound Technology if it's possible that I drive to their office and wait while they fix it. I dont trust UK post not to break it. I will lose a days pay and it will be around 7 hours drive there and back again. Plus I have to pay them to do the fix.

Seeing as the PC3 LE6 has already been 'fixed' once before - Im a bit annoyed at having to pay again for it to be fixed (it wouldnt happen if it was a car being recalled).

I have edited all the sounds I use and disabled the Pads on all of them - so when I hit them there is no sound. Since Ive done that - the problem appears to have gone away. Other than the strange problem I noticed last week - where on an organ patch - hitting middle A triggered to 2 notes to play - each note being a semi tone out (horrible sound). power reset and it disappeared.

I may just keep the LE6 in my little home studio and instead try and revive my old Korg x50 and Neo Vent for playing live or buy a second hand module that covers piano, rhodes,hammond and brass (if such a module exists)
voodoo
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby happyrat1 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am

Personally I agree that Kurzweil should own up to the fact that they released a lemon with the LE series and issue a full recall at their expense to fix any and all units suffering from the problem.

REGARDLESS of whether or not they are still under warranty.

I don't even own an LE but I'll probably never buy another Kurzweil if my K8 dies on me.

How a company treats its customers is crucial to its survival, a lesson which Kurzweil seems impervious to learning. :P

Gary ;)
happyrat1
House of Blues alligator
House of Blues alligator

Next

Return to Kurzweil Discussion