Basic Analog Sounds

Questions about your PC3/PC3K/PC3LE/SP4/SP5 keyboard? Somebody might have the answers here.

Basic Analog Sounds

Postby tsss27 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I will begin this by saying I am blind (for those wondering, I will be using the Soundtower software for editing as it has a mode I can use,) so if there are graphics explaining all of this already, I apologize but I can't see those!

I have a PC3A6 on the way and need to get a few analog-style synth leads and basses programmed. Very simple sounds, monophonic Moogy things etc... For instrument emulations and more complex synth textures I'll probably end up just purchasing sounds if the built-in ones don't provide what I need but I am more particular about some of my analog patches. I come from the world of standard subtractive synths (various Moogs, DSI Prophet6, Roland Gaia, etc) so I understand basic signal flow but VAST is obviously much more complex.

The oscillators are explained well in the manual, so no issues there. However, as I cannot see all the functions of the editor until the synth is connected, here's what I need clarification on:

1. Routing the oscillators through the Moog-style filter (or any other for that matter, I assume the process is the same.) I want velocity to control filter envelope depth / amount on some patches; how would I set this up? If cutoff control via velocity is simpler for some reason, that works too. It seems keyboard tracking is a standard option with no real setup needed, correct?

2. One LFO would be used on the modwheel, the other for aftertouch. Is it possible to modulate multiple destinations with one LFO with different depth values? How would I set all of that up? For example, modulating the pitch of all layers equally, and then different values for the filter and volume level.

3. Best way to get a standard ADSR-style envelope for filter / amp? The options in the PC3 allow for a lot more specific settings, but what should I ignore to only take care of basics?

Any help would be grately appreciated! I am surprised that there seems to be very little on creating these kinds of sounds online. Or maybe there is and I just have no idea where to find it lol.
tsss27
Basement roach
Basement roach

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Basic Analog Sounds

Postby hipogrito » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi,

Welcome.

Your keyboard will come with a good bunch of factory sounds that might work for you already out of the box. There are lots of synth programs in the PC3A, as it has KORE64 in there by default.

The best thing to do at the beginning is to analyze how factory programs are done and then start modifying from there.

I've seen people at Mastering VAST forum discussing details like the ones you ask here. Those people occasionally pass through ksetlist but it might be faster for you to go and ask there.

Also, you can ask Kurzweil Operational Support a: http://kurzweil.com/support/operational/
Regards,

Fran
http://www.hipogrito.com
Yes I work at Kurzweil but anything I write here is just on behalf of myself, not the company.
hipogrito
Site Admin

Have thanks: 357 times

Re: Basic Analog Sounds

Postby tsss27 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 am

Well, looks like I'm out of luck.

The Soundtower editor doesn't even allow screen readers to access "all parameters" as their website states. So for example the DSPMOD page isn't even listed, nor are any parameters for the effects; in fact it won't even save the global settings after I change those. Soundtower is unwilling to help and the American distributor for Kurzweil told me they are not affiliated with the editor and that Kurzweil didn't participate in its development.

If anyone knows of anyone else I could try contacting I would be very interested; otherwise I guess this keyboard will be up for sale. No matter how great many of the factory sounds may be, if I can't even use a 3rd of what it can do, it's not for me unfortunately.
tsss27
Basement roach
Basement roach

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Kurzweil Discussion