Forte or SP6

Questions about your PC3/PC3K/PC3LE/SP4/SP5 keyboard? Somebody might have the answers here.

Forte or SP6

Postby eibinger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:12 am

Hi guys, I love my sp4/7 and I had (now sold) a PC3-61. Great sounds in my cover-band (though I own two real-hammonds and a nord5d!)
Now I got a wonderful offer for an used Forte88 (technically reviewed, serious private-seller). We all know, that it is a great machine, but the weight is the problem (Fatar-keyb). So I looked (and tested) a SP6 with the medelli-keyb. I am a little bit afraid of the keyb, because my SP4/7 (also medelli-keyb) got a new one for three times!!!
Are there any experiences or opinions, which could help me?
Thanks and Happy New Year!
eibinger
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 11 times

Re: Forte or SP6

Postby eibinger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:59 am

Hi guys, this is my second attempt getting help from this forum:

I love my sp4/7 and I had (now sold) a PC3-61. Great sounds in my cover-band (though I own two real-hammonds and a nord5d!)
Now I consider to buy a Forte7 (not 88), but the weight is still the problem (Fatar-keyb). So I looked (and tested) a SP6 with the medelli-keyb. I am a little bit afraid of the keyb, because my SP4/7 (also medelli-keyb) got a new one for three times!!! Are there any experiences or opinions, which could help me?
Thanks!

Thomas
eibinger
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby cecchino » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:27 am

eibinger wrote:Hi guys, this is my second attempt getting help from this forum:

I am a little bit afraid of the keyb, because my SP4/7 (also medelli-keyb) got a new one for three times!!!

Thomas, this makes me worry a lot!
I had my (second hand) SP4-7 for three months now, and didn't notice any problem on the keybed yet. I hope it will not show failures during the summer season, as it will be probably stay in my setup until fall.
Moreover, if the problem is with the Medeli construction robustness, I wonder what the new PC4 will be in terms of reliability (I have to admit I'm thinking of buying it as my all-in-one gigging keyboard after summer).

P.S. I tried the SP6 at an exhibition in october, and the keybed didn't disappoint me (the same for the sounds - they were both a little "lighter" than those of the Forte put on the same stand, but this was not a surprise) but I don't know what happens to it with intensive daily usage.
cecchino
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby eibinger » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Please don‘t worry! I love my SP4/7 for many years and prefer this Keyboard in our band-Content - though I have a Nord5d/73, too!
The keys stayed in order now for about 2 years! But sometimes I am missing HA-Keys and I consider to buy a SP6 or a Forte7. I looked at youtube and I got the Impression - as you said - that the Sounds of the SP6 are a little bit lighter.
And in some tests I read, that the keys of the SP6 are a Little bit lighter in attack. This might not be a problem playing Organ-Sounds. But I am afraid, that the keys are „as bad as“ the TP100L/R. The weight is perfect: Forte7 has 18,8 kg, SP6 only 12 kg. What do you think?
Thomas
eibinger
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby cecchino » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 am

I do love my sp4, it is light and saves me when I have to play in gigs and/or rehearsals with little space available. When possible I couple it with a Moxf8 which has weighted keys I prefer when playing piano parts.
SP4 shows some limitations in the number of memory locations (I currently play in four bands and I have to save and restore setups quite often) and the lack of FX units impacts negatively on Hammond sounds (compared to my former PC3). Four zones are not many but I can live with this.
So I was looking at sp6 as a possible replacement for Moxf8 when pc4 came out. I will wait.
I think the sp6 keybed is playable, more or less like the GHS one in my Yamaha. I also had a studiologic master with TP100 and it was a little "slower" but playable.
P.S. forte 7 would be a dream, but I cannot afford it at the moment and I'm getting old, so I try to use lighter keyboard if I can
cecchino
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby eibinger » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:02 am

I know, what you mean, in all points. I had a Hammond sk-1 for four times, but I sold the last ohne 1 month ago. Using a Hammond, I take now my xk-1 or only the nord5d/73.
I know, Forte7 will be best choice, but heavy too. I have to Carry the keyboard 1 - 2 times a week.
Waiting for PC4 could be a possibillity, but the keyb is the same in SP6 (Meldeli K6). So, why shall I wait?
The only point that makes me unsure are the 9 (Organ-)sliders in the Forte and the PC4.
SP6 has the same „Problem“ like SP4: only Knobs! (SP4 only one, S6 has 4). No problem, working with presets, but ...
Technical winner is the Nord, from the Point of Sound it will be the Kurzweil - every kurzweil!
eibinger
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby hss » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 pm

I've been gigging with an SP4-7 since 2011 and have never had a problem with its keybed which IMO is one of the best semi-weighted actions for piano I've played. I also have a Hammond SK1 and Nord 5D 73 which I gig with. I usually use the SK1 (B3/clav) above the SP4-7 (AP/EP) for higher-end gigs and go with the Nord 5d 73 by itself for quick gigs and/or those with difficult load in-out. FWIW I find the SP4-7 to be better than the Nord 5d for AP / EP sounds and piano action. The Nord's action is too tightly sprung for me to comfortably play piano on. The springs in the SP4-7 seem to be lower tension and don't push back as much.

OT: I just purchased a SP6 for good price; it should hopefully arrive within a week. It'll be interesting to see how much improved it's KB3 engine is relative to the SP4-7 as well as it's AP/ EP sounds. Of course, I'm also wondering how the SP6's weighted action will work out, especially its high trigger point for the KB3 organ.
hss
Basement roach
Basement roach

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Kurzweil Discussion