A new Kurzweil PC4

Questions about your PC3/PC3K/PC3LE/SP4/SP5 keyboard? Somebody might have the answers here.

A new Kurzweil PC4

Postby larrywary » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:32 am

Well I got a PC4! & it's exactly what I want ! The action's great & it's solid too! But damn now I gots to learn (not hard if u know Kurz) Wood shed time!

For this message the author larrywary has received thanks:
hipogrito (Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:20 pm)
Rating: 1.39%

larrywary
House mouse
House mouse

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: A new Kurzweil PC4

Postby cecchino » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:40 am

Glad for you!
I hope I will follow you soon (still waiting for the PC4 to land in italian stores...)
cecchino
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Ratbatblue » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:51 am

I just got my PC4 about a week ago. Has anyone heard on when the editor is suppose to come out?
Ratbatblue
Basement roach
Basement roach

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Kurzhead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:45 am

I would be interested to hear about any experiences with the FM synth engine and, in particular, if anyone’s been able to upload, e.g. a Yamaha DX7 Patch from a SYSEX file ( is this really possible? ).
SP4 Advocate
Kurzhead
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby larrywary » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm going to hook-up my DX7 & try what you were asking about sometime tomorrow & from downloading programs to & from a DX7 that I did off the internet by sysex . Your always going to get 32 programs because sysex is always in a bulk format. So getting a single program to load just can't do. They sent Me a 100+ fm programs & WOW some cool stuff there.
Fran said the final will be put out sometime this next week . Concerning the Soundtower editor I have no clue since Kurzweil & Soundtower are separate companys.

For this message the author larrywary has received thanks:
Kurzhead (Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:35 pm)
Rating: 1.39%

larrywary
House mouse
House mouse

Postby hipogrito » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am

There will be a Sound Tower editor for the PC4. They are currently working on it.
Regards,

Fran
http://www.hipogrito.com
Yes I work at Kurzweil but anything I write here is just on behalf of myself, not the company.
hipogrito
Site Admin

Have thanks: 368 times

Postby wildbill » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Kurzhead wrote:I would be interested to hear about any experiences with the FM synth engine and, in particular, if anyone’s been able to upload, e.g. a Yamaha DX7 Patch from a SYSEX file ( is this really possible? ).

Yes - it's possible, and there's a lot you can do with them once inside.
I've had my PC4 for about a month now.
I downloaded a lot of dx7 sounds, and funny enough - the only ones I had trouble with were the 4 original 32 patch sound banks in the DX7. Most of the rest of them loaded fine. Maybe that one was corrupted or something.
There's so many others though that it hasn't bothered me.
wildbill
House mouse
House mouse

Postby larrywary » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Hey Wildbill - - I couldn't load the original sounds from my DX7 either but I downloaded about 1,023 dexed programs to my Pc4. I was reading though the introduction for dex & I realized using this editor & Librarian is the best way to get 'dem fm sounds! And jeez there are tens of thousands these suckers! I'm having a ball with this.
larrywary
House mouse
House mouse

Postby wildbill » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 pm

larrywary wrote:Hey Wildbill - - I couldn't load the original sounds from my DX7 either but I downloaded about 1,023 dexed programs to my Pc4. I was reading though the introduction for dex & I realized using this editor & Librarian is the best way to get 'dem fm sounds! And jeez there are tens of thousands these suckers! I'm having a ball with this.

Yep - not lacking for sounds - that's for sure. It's great that you can use them as alternate inputs for other layers to process them further too. I've had a lot of DX/FM stuff over the years and thought I was pretty much done with it. But this sounds about the best I've tried, and what you can do with it is just outstanding.

Have you tried playing around with the 3 two block FM operators that are in regular vast programs?
I just started messing with them, and those can come in handy too.
I'm very happy with the PC4, even though there are a few small things I'd like to see fixed or added.

larrywary wrote:... They sent Me a 100+ fm programs & WOW some cool stuff there....

Those are great. Some are really flashy, like 'how the heck did they do that'. Not real usable, because they're so unique they'd be recognized right away.
But there's also some real usable patches that sound just great. Also some templates to give you a head start for making your own patches.
wildbill
House mouse
House mouse

Postby cecchino » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:10 am

And the new OS is out, so everybody can test those programs (except for me and other Italian-4th-world-PC4-not-yet-in-the-shops users ... :-(
cecchino
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 15 times

Next

Return to Kurzweil Discussion