beginner PC3LE7 questions

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
mendel
(@mendel)
Topic starter

Hi!

We're currently checking out a Kurzweil PC3 LE7, trying to decide whether this is the drawbar synth (really all-round synth that has some kind of drawbar organ included) we want to buy for a student player (my son), and there are some questions that the handbook doesn't answer and that I couldn't find definitive answers to on the web, either. So here goes:

* The tech specs say the keyboard has aftertouch, but "aftertouch" is not in the index of the manual. How do I assign something to the aftertouch? Are there programs that have it set up so that I can actually see what it does?

* The manual seems to say that only one instrument on the PC3 LE can be a drawbar organ (KB3). Does that mean it is not possible to set up a drawbar organ with upper and lower manual (via key split), with different drawbar settings on each?

* Some sellers advertise a Kurzweil PC3 LE7 V2. Does the "V2" mean that the new operating system comes with it? If I have an older model, can I simply update the operating system and be just as good as as a "V2" buyer, or are there other differences? There's quite a substantial price difference!

There may be more questions as we're checking it out further, but so far we've been impressed by how well it sounds. I hope that many of the sets posted here work with this admittedly "light" model.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
--mendel

P.S.: If you have any suggestions for what to try to make this keyboard really shine, fire away!

Posted : 09/08/2013 10:52 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

- Aftertouch: see page 7-11 in the manual dated 05-27-2011. Explains how to turn on "pressure" and how it works.

- KB3 is limited to one channel, so in order to have a dual manual or a split manual organ you will need to employ a VAST organ and a KB3 organ in a setup. The PC3 series delivered four setups (from setup #90-93) called "Dual Manual B3". I don't know if the LE has these delivered or not (probably not). If not, you would have to build your own setup, putting a VAST B3 organ in one zone and a KB3 organ in the other zone.

- Update to the latest operating system (version 2.10) gets you version 2.

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3le7/downloads/

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 09/08/2013 1:34 pm
mendel
(@mendel)
Topic starter

Thanks for the swift reply!

With your hint, I found "pressure" and I think I understand how it works. Using it for the Brake or Fast/Slow on a KB3 is fun. Generally, the aftertouch doesn't operate on the key that is pressed, but it would work like any other controller (switch or knob) that affects any voice that is configured to react to it, right? Just that instead of pushing down on the expression pedal with the foot, you can push down on the aftertouch instead.

The number of non-KB3 e-organs on the LE is pitifully small, though it's probably good that there are so many variations that do have drawbars. If I dug into VAST, would I be able to expand the selection with my own creations, or does the LE simply lack the proper samples for them?

Some programs are labelled "VAST1-3" or "VAST1-3,8&9". What does that mean?

As a nice surprise, while looking for VAST organs, I happened upon the church organ programs, where every stop seems to have its own program, presumably with the aim to be able to layer those together to make an organ program like I would by pulling out the stops. Now if I could control the volume of these with external faders, I'd have church organ drawbars, correct? In theory, I could turn the keyboard into a church organ with 16 stops with the right setup; if I wanted to use the onboard knobs, I could control 15 stops because they can have 3 assignments each. Is that actually possible? (And of course change the selection of stops instantly by switching to another setup?) Hmm, I could employ the 5 switches and 5 knobs, actually... hmmmmmmmmm....

Again, thanks for the help. This keyboard is starting to impress me more and more!
Cheers,
--mendel

Posted : 09/08/2013 2:37 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

You might want to take a look at this keyboard instead, i.e. the PC3 series:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurzweil-PC3-Ke ... 2a2fd4fa70

They are generally hard to come by and this one appears to be in excellent shape. I don't have an LE, i have the PC3 series. It is a huge step up from the LE series and, quite frankly, is an awesome k/b. It has the 9 sliders (that act as 9 drawbars in KB3 mode) you are looking for, the new double leslie which blows away the leslie on the LE series. It also has double the polyphony as well as more effect units. LE effects editing is limited as compared to the PC3. Listen to this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=616uZSd6xmg

Based on your questions on this and the KC forum, i think the PC3 series is what you're looking for and the one on ebay is priced very well. I'd take a serious look at purchasing the PC3.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 09/08/2013 4:00 pm
mendel
(@mendel)
Topic starter

You might want to take a look at this keyboard instead, i.e. the PC3 series:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurzweil-PC3-Ke ... 2a2fd4fa70

They are generally hard to come by and this one appears to be in excellent shape. [..]

Ah, I remember you posting that ebay link, my apologies for not responding to your post directly! My problem is that the instrument is in Southern California, while I'm in Germany, and I shy away from going through the hassle of international sales, money transfer and customs issues, in order to buy an instrument the capabilities of which in general and the state of which in particular I can only judge by hearsay, and which I won't be able to return if it arrives here and we find it doesn't suit our needs. I did look around for one on offer over here, but like you said, they're hard to come by. :-(

Cheers,
--mendel

P.S.: That Youtube video you linked is pretty awesome!

Posted : 09/08/2013 4:43 pm
Share: