Difficult classic keyboard sound observation

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Is it just me or did a guitar player from the Who produce some of the most interesting and difficult to imitate keyboard sounds in classic rock?

Posted : 04/05/2014 4:41 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

You mean Pete Townshend. Yes, he was one of the synthesizer pioneers of rock. He made use of a sequencer to create lines that would be difficult/impossible to play repeatedly with 2 hands.

Posted : 04/05/2014 4:43 pm
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Pete, of course....I find it interesting that a guitar player was that innovative on the keyboards....I'm sure he worked with people (I heard he worked with Rod Argent in particular) but I find it interesting.....you know, as a fellow guitar player....

Of course you probably know which other mildly famous guitar player bought the very FIRST synth from Mr. Moog.....

Posted : 04/05/2014 4:45 pm
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

Pete, of course....I find it interesting that a guitar player was that innovative on the keyboards....I'm sure he worked with people (I heard he worked with Rod Argent in particular) but I find it interesting.....you know, as a fellow guitar player....

Of course you probably know which other mildly famous guitar player bought the very FIRST synth from Mr. Moog.....

John Lennon?
Hint please

Posted : 04/05/2014 6:50 pm
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

You are EXTREMELY close........
(tonybanksfan)
;-)

Posted : 06/05/2014 3:34 pm
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

You are EXTREMELY close........
(tonybanksfan)
;-)

Must be Paul M then!

Posted : 06/05/2014 5:31 pm
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

BUZZZZZZZZZZZ>..........nope. Mr. George Harrison.

Posted : 07/05/2014 8:41 pm
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

That was my immediate first thought because you said guitar player, but then I thought George never played any keyboard, just John and Paul so I went with Paul, anyway nailed the band off the hop.

Back to the original thread topic, I found The Who's keyboard stuff ( including Brass and orchestra parts) always very cool and an underated contribution to the success of the band. Some of it is still today very difficult to mimic even with the help of modern technology, similar to keyboard sounds of Genesis where present day cover bands commonly reach back to the original keyboards used at the time to replicate those exact sounds rather than rely on digital interpretations.

Townshend was genius but slammed by many , I will never understand why.

Posted : 08/05/2014 8:56 am
Share: