Clear all

Help with midi

10 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
David Heath
(@david-heath)
Topic starter

Hi all, I'm new to this and having just bought a PC3 k 61 was hoping someone to give me any tips on loading midi files and playing them back. I've managed to load one from a pen drive (I think) but can't find it now to play it back, I've consulted the manual but it doesn't seem to reference this. Any clues as to where the midi file might have gone anyone? 

Posted : 11/10/2020 8:08 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

I own a PC3K8 and personally if I want to play a GM file I'll load it up on the computer and let the computer play it back thru the Kurzweil's USB MIDI port.

Same thing for general sequencing.  I've basically ignored the onboard sequencer, preferring instead to compose and play back with a DAW Sequencer like Cakewalk By Bandlab.

Gary 😉

Posted : 11/10/2020 9:29 pm
David Heath
(@david-heath)
Topic starter

thanks Gary, it's a learning curve for me so I'll keep trying to load a midi file into the machine and play it back as well as change some of the programs/sounds in it

Posted : 11/10/2020 9:48 pm
mikeh11
(@mikeh11)
Trusted Member

I've got a PC3LE, so things are a little different. But reading the PC3 Musician's Guide, it seems like you could do one of these to find your song:

- go to Storage mode, and try to export a song. It will show you all the user songs. Yours should be in that list.

- go to Song mode, and scroll through all the songs (ugh)

- go to Master mode, and pretend to delete an object, and select by Type (pick the user's songs). Again, your loaded song should be in the list.

The Musician's Guide has large chapters on both Song mode and Storage mode, so it's easy to not find what we're looking for.

K2000R 3.87J | MBP 2012 macOS 10.14.6

Posted : 19/10/2020 12:46 am
Marksikt reacted
David Heath
(@david-heath)
Topic starter

Hi Mike, thanks for the advice, loaded a midi file, went into song mode and bingo there it was!! Doh, silly me, thanks again mate.

Posted : 19/10/2020 9:19 pm
Marksikt
(@marksikt)

Posted by: @mikeh11

I've got a PC3LE, so things are a little different. But reading the PC3 Musician's Guide, it seems like you could do one of these to find your song:

- go to Storage mode, and try to export a song. It will show you all the user songs. Yours should be in that list.

- go to Song mode, and scroll through all the songs (ugh)

- go to Master mode, and pretend to delete an object, and select by Type (pick the user's songs). Again, your loaded song should be in the list.

The Musician's Guide has large chapters on both Song mode and Storage mode, so it's easy to not find what we're looking for.

Hi Mikeh11!

Do you believe that works to export a MIDI-demo song from inside, the one which are available for each program (instrument)?

In my dreams I would connect the synth to my PC through my USB-cable and just get the PC3LE inside my PC as a file map. I never suceeded 🙁

Thanks!

Posted : 05/11/2020 2:30 pm
mikeh11
(@mikeh11)
Trusted Member

To export songs as SMF files: yeah, Storage mode / Export / Song lets you export the ROM songs just fine.

As for the PC3LE looking like a remote disk... yeah a full remote file system would be great!

Posted : 05/11/2020 5:20 pm
Marksikt reacted
Marksikt
(@marksikt)

Posted by: @mikeh11

To export songs as SMF files: yeah, Storage mode / Export / Song lets you export the ROM songs just fine.

No MIDI? ? ? ? 

Posted : 06/11/2020 12:02 pm
mikeh11
(@mikeh11)
Trusted Member

Hmmm, I thought that's what an SMF file is... a MIDI file.

The file it exports is named "something.mid", and you can select SMF format 0 or 1.

Just try it! ? 

Posted : 06/11/2020 3:52 pm
Marksikt
(@marksikt)

mikeh11,

I am very happy to tell you thank your advices I could connect a usb memory directly on the rear. I ran the song export on K choosing the number of the instrument demo. 

Everything seemed go easy, as I hoped. 

Further, I will change the name of the file to midi and import it in my daw.

Thanks!

Posted : 06/11/2020 8:48 pm
Share: