Clear all

How to Get Data from SCSI ZIP Drive for Loading into PC3K8

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Paul Z
(@paul-z)
Topic starter

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I've been a long time user of a k2500RS using an IOMEGA SCSI Zip drive to load in my sounds, data, etc. I finally upgraded to a PC3K8, largely because I can use all my sounds I accumulated over the years. My issue is how to get the data from the SCSI ZIP drive into my computer so I can put it on a thumb drive and load into my PC3K8.

I use a PC with Windows 7 Professional OS. I bought a SCSI to USB cable, but my PC won't recognize the SCSI Zip drive.

I appreciate any advice I can get!

Posted : 14/07/2017 6:28 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

"..My issue is how to get the data from the SCSI ZIP drive into my computer...

If your issue is getting data from a SCSI drive to a PC using Windows 7, why are you posting the question here? Why not a Windows 7 forum?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 16/07/2017 6:58 am
SpotlightKid
(@spotlightkid)
Trusted Member

Buy a used USB Zip drive, they're not expensive.

Chris' Sound Corner

Posted : 16/07/2017 8:12 am
Paul Z
(@paul-z)
Topic starter

Delaware Dave, I'm posting here to get some advice from fellow Kurzweil users who have, hopefully, resolved this exact problem vs computer experts who tend to speak a language I don't necessarily understand. Thanks for the advice, though.

Spotlightkid - I see Iomega makes USB Zip drives and I can pick up one on ebay for less than $50. I already picked up a SCSI to USB adapter, unfortunately, the issue with the drivers. Windows 7 is not compatible with the most recent drivers. Do you happen to know if drivers for usb Zip drives are supported in Windows 7?

Posted : 16/07/2017 5:50 pm
SpotlightKid
(@spotlightkid)
Trusted Member

I sold my USB Zip drive a while ago and I'm not sure if I ever used it with Windows 7, but I wouldn't expect any problems. USB Zip drives are standard USB mass storage devices and usually work without special drivers, i.e the standard USB mass storage drivers, which any modern operating system has.

If all else fails, you can always boot a Linux Live distribution from a pen drive or a CD/DVD. The USB Zip drive will almost certainly work without any configuration with any modern Linux system. Then you can copy the data from the Zip disks to your hard drive.

Chris' Sound Corner

Posted : 17/07/2017 12:53 am
da capo
(@d-c)
Eminent Member

SCSI drive direct connectivity to PC Windows 7 ...

https://adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/u320/asc-29320lpe/

just buy one, insert into any free PCIe x1 slot on you computer´s mainboard.
Possibly needs drivers, maybe not ... read the specs and instructions.
You might need an SCSI adapter cable which connects to the card´s connector on one end and to Centronics 50 (if your SCSI drive uses that) connector on the other.

Once the files are on your PC´s internal HDD/ SSD, copy to USB stick formatted for usage w/ your PC3K.

I´m using a similar (PCI card) solution under Win XP professional 32Bit and have access to all my AKAI and EMU vintage sampler libraries that way, convert samples to WAV, SF2 and other formats.

D.C.

Posted : 17/07/2017 7:21 am
Paul Z
(@paul-z)
Topic starter

Thanks to everyone for responding to my question. It is great to know there are folks willing to exchange ideas and offer solutions. I was able to get my issue resolved. Here's how:

My brother happened to have several old computers he no longer uses.....keeps them for parts, etc. He fired one up that has Windows XP and a parallel port for a printer. I happened to have parallel ZIP drive. When I hooked it up to the Windows XP computer, it recognized the drive (after a restart) and I was able to copy all the files I need onto a thumb drive and load them in my pc3k8. So, it was a bit of luck finding an operational WindowsXP computer (for free) and a working parallel port ZIP drive, but it got it done. I guess sometimes its better to be lucky than good! :D

Posted : 26/07/2017 1:38 pm
Share: