How to load patches onto SP6?

6 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
MrJules
(@mrjules)
Topic starter

Hello Forum!

I've just found this forum and I'm so glad that it exists, I has already solved me a lot of stuff but...

I've been trying to understand how to load patches onto my SP6 and still haven't figured it out. Is there a tutorial or a good resource to learn?

I have another question and I would be super glad if somebody explains the difference between the Editor and Controller program that are from SoundTower. I thought that the Controller would be just the driver so that Windows can talk to the SP6 but it has a full interface.

Thanks you all!

Posted : 08/05/2021 5:26 pm
Topic Tags
SP6
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin

Hi,

Welcome!

Where are you stuck with loading? Any specific problem or you don't know how to do it at all?

Regarding Sound Tower, the Editor is s full editor to your keyboard. The Controller is another App that is helpful to have extra control over your keyboard but not editing. The Controller is simpler. 

Regards

Fran

Posted : 08/05/2021 6:48 pm
MrJules reacted
MrJules
(@mrjules)
Topic starter

Well, I know that I have to click on "load" and select a file with the soundbank, but I wanted to know the specifics about it, like:

• Compatibility between SP6 and other Kurzweils. I've read your compatibility post but it doesn't say anything about the SP6 =(
  • Compatibility between SP6 and other keyboards in general. Can I load a VAST from a Moog, for example?
  • How to operate the Editor. You said the Controller is a much simpler program and I still don't get my head around that, so imagin with the Editor.
  • If I load a soundbank, will that squash my default sounds?
  • How deep is the editor? Can I replicate synths sounds?
  • I've read that Kurzweil should have soundbanks in their official web but I haven't seen any (?)

I know that these are a lot of questions, but I would like to learn as much as I can. Maybe in the future I could make a tutorial myself if there is still no tutorial out there, and I can give knowledge back to the community!

Posted : 09/05/2021 9:12 am
jonsmanoj
(@jonsmanoj)

- Compatibility between SP6 and other KLurzweils:

"Load programs from the Forte, Forte SE and PC3 family (some restrictions apply)" - from SP6 official page. You can down sound available for these from the site and try.

- Compatibility between SP6 and other keyboards in general. Can I load a VAST from a Moog, for example?

No, is the answer. VAST is specific to Kurzweil. But if you know how to do it, you can look at the design of the sound of other synths and replicate it. VAST means Variable Architecture, so most of it you see in other synths can be done using VAST if you know how to do it. You can also load samples onto SP6 and make your own VAST program around it. So if even its not compatible, you can create the same sounds.

- How to operate the Editor. You said the Controller is a much simpler program and I still don't get my head around that, so imagin with the Editor.

The controller gives you a limited set of functionality making doing changes and managing your SP6 easier using a PC/Mac or iOS (the iOS application is similar in functionality to the Controller on desktop). Whereas the Editor can edit every parameter of the synth - I suggest you setup both and connect your SP6 and try it out.

- If I load a soundbank, will that squash my default sounds?

No, it won't overwrite the presets.

- How deep is the editor? Can I replicate synths sounds?

Deep, deeper, deepest! 😉 you have full editing capability to edit every parameter on the synth. If you know synth programming (in a generalized way), and learn VAST fundamentals, you can create "almost" all the sounds you need. Of course, there are exceptions.

- I've read that Kurzweil should have soundbanks in their official web but I haven't seen any (?)

Look for sounds from compatible models and try it. You'll find many sounds here in Ksetlist also.

I'm planning to make a tutorial - something like VAST for Dummies - for my kids! So happy to help you. I have an SP4-7 and PC4-7. I use the SP4-7 editor since it lacks editing capabilities on the synth. But PC4-7 has got a full editor onboard.

Posted : 09/05/2021 10:39 am
hipogrito and MrJules reacted
jeffw_00
(@jeffw_00)

• Compatibility between SP6 and other Kurzweils.  - SP6 can load programs from PC-4, PC-3 and Forte, PROVIDED they use samples that exist in the SP6. (the SP6 has a smaller sample set).  Anecdotally, I would say -most- programs work (I have yet to find one that doesn't).  SP-6 is not compatible with K2xx series 
  • If I load a soundbank, will that squash my default sounds?  -Default sounds are in ROM and will not be overwritten
  • I've read that Kurzweil should have soundbanks in their official web but I haven't seen any.  - Lots of files for SP-6 programs can be found in the SP-6 FB group in the files section.  

SP-6, K2500X, K2600R, PC2R, Various K1xxx, MicroPiano

Posted : 16/05/2021 3:33 pm
MrJules reacted
MrJules
(@mrjules)
Topic starter

Well thank you all very much for the replies, I have things now clear. @jonsmanoj a tutorial for dummies would be awesome, hit me up if you eventually make it.

Posted : 17/05/2021 4:04 pm
Share: