Kurzweil PC4 piano sounds impacted by velocity map

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Phillipl
(@phillipl)
Topic starter

Hi All

I am a new PC4 owner and I am struggling to get the pianos to sound as good as their demos over speakers. When I listen to the sounds via headphones everything sounds great. When playing over my KRK Rokit 6 speakers the sounds in the mid ranges sound muddy but sound crisp when listening to the patch demos. When trying to trouble shoot this problem I noticed that changing the velocity maps have a great impact on this. I was using piano touch and am wondering if this is normal behavior or could it be that my PC4 has a problem? 

Thanks for any advice

Phillip

Posted : 16/12/2022 9:11 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

Try messing around with a parametric equalizer.  Sounds like the videos may have tweaked the midrange EQ.

Check your EQ settings on the PC4.  You can adjust these frequencies onboard to some extent.

Gary 😉

Posted : 19/12/2022 7:04 pm
Phillipl
(@phillipl)
Topic starter

Thanks Gary I have been playing with this. It seems that the EQ definitely needs some tweaking. The off access sound is definitely not as sweet as when sitting directly in front of my monitors. So I have also been checking out which sounds are most mono compatible for live work and then adjusting eq to try get the best compromise.

Posted : 23/12/2022 6:07 pm
Phillipl
(@phillipl)
Topic starter

Thanks Gary I have been playing with this. It seems that the EQ definitely needs some tweaking. The off access sound is definitely not as sweet as when sitting directly in front of my monitors. So I have also been checking out which sounds are most mono compatible for live work and then adjusting eq to try get the best compromise.

Posted : 23/12/2022 6:08 pm
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin

Hi,

Make sure you use balanced cables out of the PC4.

Each pair of monitors will have a different response. I use Genelec's and they are spot-on. So, you might need to adjust the EQ if yours do not reflect the sound of the keyboard as you expect. With the velocity curve what you are doing is probably boosting the velocity, so notes will be brighter and louder, as pianos tend to have a low pass filter associated with velocity (the harder you play the less filtering the filter does). But, I would try to solve the problem first with the cables or general EQ before.

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 27/12/2022 7:26 pm
Phillipl
(@phillipl)
Topic starter

Thanks Fran for your feedback. I have been testing further. After some more testing I come to the conclusion that the problem is my room and the off axis listening position I have in my room. Just something I have to get used to. When using in the mix it is sounding fine!

Posted : 20/01/2023 2:03 pm
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin

Hi,

Well, yes, absolutely, the room plays a big part too. Hope you find a good compromise.

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 06/02/2023 10:28 pm
Share: