Suggestion for a new product

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
geoela
(@geoela)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

So I have my PC3K8. Love the feel...love most of the onboard sounds. Love many of the new pianos etc that guys are coming out with. Of course, I can't put them all in my board due to lack of memory.

So, why not Kurzweil come out with a module, compatible with Forte and PC3 formats, that has a ton of memory for your own sounds only...maybe a few factory presets, but a load and dump module that the user can choose what he/she has onboard...and just have it midi compatible. This would be the ultimate add-on for my PC3K8. Hipogrito or Dave got any opinions on this request?

Posted : 31/08/2017 12:46 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

The problem is where do you connect the module? Unless you are talking about a rack module? But that would be a complete synth in a rack package. I once floated the suggestion of a daughterboard for the PC3K line and the engineers at Kurzweil practically threw up on my shoes when I mentioned it. :o

As it is the only connection you have on a PC3K to connect such a beast would be either the USB Thumb Drive Port which already does what you ask, albeit slower than molasses uphill in January or into the Sample RAM expansion port internally which cannot be easily rewired to act as a switch between RAM and ROM modules.

If I were a better electronic technician and my PC3K8 was worth a lot less money I'd be tempted to hack my own daughterboard and firmware for the beast, but I'd rather enjoy a working keyboard than a new toy for my electronics junk box :mrgreen:

Truth be told, if you are addicted to the Kurzweil Sound and want to see bleeding edge technology you'll simply have to be patient like the rest of us and see what the next generation comes up with :D

Or simply use your PC3K as a controller and hook up a state of the art synth module from some other manufacturer.

Kurzweil has not expressed any interest in producing another rack module for the past 20 years or so and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Gary ;)

Posted : 31/08/2017 6:22 pm
geoela
(@geoela)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yes Gary. I meant a rack or non-rack single module that could connect via midi or USB. Basically, I'd be asking for a blank drive (maybe 25-50B?) that has the ability to host and play Kurzweil files only...a device that would allow the user to load only the Kurzweil files he/she desired. The Forte and Artis can play PC3 files, so use this architecture (or engine) so as to be able to load any of "today's" Kurzweil files. Of course, if it came loaded with the latest Forte pianos, I wouldn't complain. But, design it so everything on it could be dumped and reloaded with whatever Kurzweil file your heart desires. I'm sure this is possible...just maybe never gonna be done. I love Kurzweil sounds, but I can't afford to update my main board every couple of years. Also, I wouldn't want to ditch my PC3K8 anyway. I love it...just want the new and improved Kurzweil sounds too.

Posted : 01/09/2017 8:35 am
Share: