Synthesis VAST. Synthesis power of Kurzweil pc3k

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
hebert
(@hebert)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Personal I am new with Kurzweil instruments, I already had yamaha, roland and I have a nord.

VAST synthesis looks very complicated.

What is the capacity of VAST synthesis?

How is it seen today in relation to other types of synthesis?

Does the fort use the same synthesis?

Posted : 18/07/2019 11:33 am
jankob
(@jankob)
Trusted Member

Hi, VAST is IMHO the most powerfull virtual synthesis architecture in these days. Just compare Montage´s architecture with Forte´s and you will see (eg. 32 layers per program & cascading of layers vs. 8 parts per program, realtime controling of as many parameters as you want, routing samples into VAST combined with virtual analog, 16 fx units (PC3/K; Forte has 32) vs. 2 insert effects per program in Montage, ...). Also consider Forte is getting new OS4 with FM synthesis implemented into VAST :ugeek:
PC3/K/LE, Forte use the same architecture.

BTW - look at Mastering VAST forum. There is the most of VAST knowledge from VAST masters: https://forums.godlike.com.au/

Posted : 19/07/2019 1:08 am
hebert
(@hebert)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you, I did not know that.

very cool, I just bought a new PC3K, and I was not getting used to the internal sounds. But I downloaded several very good presets here.

I want to learn how to program VAST.

I almost got the MOTIF XF in place of PC3K6.

What is the difference of VAST from PC3k and VAST from Forte?

Posted : 19/07/2019 5:46 am
jankob
(@jankob)
Trusted Member

The architecture is almost the same. Forte´s has some features from PC3LE series (eg. Parameter page), plus some new features.
Just compare user PC3K´s user manual and Forte´s ;)

Posted : 22/07/2019 1:10 am
JB107048
(@jb107048)
Eminent Member

VAST takes time to learn, and practice.
HOWEVER:
The reward is tremendous if you care to spend a little amount of time learning every day. Then the next day, before you make an attempt to learn something else, you repeat what you did the day before. It makes the 'commit-to-memory' process that much quicker and you forget less.

One of the reasons I have held off purchasing a new Nord 3 is simply because I have a LOT of time invested in Kurzweil - not to mention $$$$, but the learning curve presented by yet another brand's layout and OS is seen as a major negative. If Kurzweil put more manpower into software dev and testing, as well as sw updates they would have the market cornered years ago. Hindsight is always 20-20 though.... the user interface could do with an overhaul to make it more intuitive- but "it is what it is". The singular most daunting part of owning a Kurzweil is the HUGE manual that accompanies the instrument. However, it is quite possibly the best-written and easiest to understand synth manual that accompanies an instrument.

The only real issue is that I'm at the point where I almost can't be bothered purchasing a new forte or a nord, simply because one presents a huge change in operation while the other drags it's heels with software updates and fundamentally doesn't present a huge leap in technology from my loaded PC3K88.

catch-22.

PC3x, PC3K8/K64+GD

Posted : 12/08/2019 5:19 pm
Kurzhead
(@kurzhead)
Trusted Member

I agree with the comment about the Kurz Musicians Guide (manual). Yes - it is large, but I have read some really nasty synth manuals from other brands in the past and I think that Kurzweil really made an effort to make the Musician’s Guides approachable for those willing to study.
Having said that, it would great to have a (CZ5000-style) basic step sequencer, using musical notation, on-board a Kurz one day ........maybe it’s already there and I just haven’t spent enough time with the manual!?? :D
Kurzhead

SP4 Advocate

Posted : 12/08/2019 5:33 pm
hebert
(@hebert)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks a lot guys, I'm happy with my pc3k, I'm learning how to edit sounds, and address the controls. Already turbined it with several top sounds.

That's what I really wanted. It's just heavy to carry, but I don't like plastic keyboards either, kkk. I like the well built material.

Posted : 09/10/2019 4:35 pm
hebert
(@hebert)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Here are all the sounds I've edited, and got, if anyone cares.

Posted : 09/10/2019 4:37 pm
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

Instead of posting all of your sounds, why not upload a single program or two, that you were most proud of editing, or a program you think nobody might have and are happy to share.

Posted : 14/10/2019 9:26 am
Share: