Transpose of 2nd Midi Controller

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
christianjwagner
(@christianjwagner)
Topic starter

Hey guys,

I am trying to build a Setup, let's say of two zones, zone one - Piano - is the local keyboard (the PC3K), the second zone - Organ - should be played by an external midi controller on top of my PC3K (a Novation Impulse 49). I have troubles.

First of all I had difficulties to make my second key (always transmitting on channel 1) play exactly that zone, having whichever channel (more problems if a want to play two zones with the external keyboard). I guess this is done by the local keyboard channel, right?

Second, and that's my main problem, I have an issue with transpose. I always play in C major, so I transpose every zone I have accordingly to each song, semi-tones but also octaves. So let's say zone two has a transpose set to +2. When I now play my Novation Impulse, it always plays the original keys and does NOT transpose. Seems transpose only works for the internal keyboard... I'm kinda lost but need a solution as I do NOT want to program my other keyboard, my PC3K is causing me troubles enough ;-)

Could someone of you help me on how to do that?

Posted : 13/05/2016 12:36 pm
christianjwagner
(@christianjwagner)
Topic starter

Hi,
maybe my question was unprecise or stupid.
I managed to set the Local Keyboard Channel to One, which is the one my Novation is sending. Problem solved.
Now one simpler question:

I want to play one zone with my PC3K and another one (or multiple ones) with my external Midi Controller. How can I do that?

- How can I make my setup play one zone triggered by the external MIDI controller, and NOT triggered by the PC3K (silent when I play on the PC3K).
- Vice versa: how can I make my external MIDI controller be silent while I play the PC3K

No matter what I do (change input channels, change Destination) both keys play either the same or nothing (LocalKbdChn=1). I go crazy and got a gig on Saturday, so PLEASE HELP ME! ;-)

Posted : 19/05/2016 2:44 pm
dischneider
(@dischneider)
Eminent Member

If you use a setup you give every sound an extra channel, up to 16.
So your external device has to send the channel your sound is located on.
Use your piano at channel 1 and your local keyboard assigned to channel 1 too, so you can play piano with your local keyboard.
Assign organ to channel 2 and send at channel 2 with your external device (don't know, if you can reroute the channels inside your kurzweil, I'm new with kurzweil), so it will play your organ.
And I don't know if your transposing is working, maybe the sending device has to transpose, because of note-to-play-information?

Maybe someone can help here better, sorry.

Dirk

currently: Kurzweil PC3LE8, Korg N5
previous: Yamaha DX7, Korg DW-6000, Yamaha SY22, Akai sg01p

Posted : 20/05/2016 1:05 pm
Share: