Clear all

PC88 no longer starts

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Platurt
(@platurt)
Topic starter

Hey, so I have this Kurzweil PC88 collecting dust since a few years now and recently started playing again. Worked great, only thing worrying me was that every time I powered it on, the LED screen displayed "Battery Low", which was weird bc I have it connected to the socket constantly. I didn't even know it was portable tbh.

But I thought it probably once had a portable battery, but that one's broken now and that's why it doesn't load and is always empty or "low".

But today, after a few weeks of playing, it won't start properly. When I power it on, all the buttons flash red three times and the LED screen shines, but is empty. No idea if that could be connected to the "Battery Low" message or if it's something else entirely.

Obvious next step would be to replace the battery, but first I would like to know if "failing to power on" is even a symptom of that. Can't rly find information about it on google, so I thought maybe you guys could help.

Posted : 30/04/2021 1:31 pm
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin

Not sure about the PC88, but all those old keyboards had a little button battery to keep the proper time even when the unit was off. We don't do that anymore but check if it's just that. Depending on the model it might be easier or more difficult to change that. Some models might have a little door somewhere in the enclosure to reach that battery... check in the manual as it might explain how to do that.

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 30/04/2021 1:47 pm
Platurt
(@platurt)
Topic starter

@hipogrito Yep that was it, replaced the old CR2032 (used a CR2025 bc apparently that works aswell) and now it starts again.

Only problem is that when I put the control panel back on, I couldn't get the cable for the Modulationwheel and the Pitchwheel to fit, so I left it unplugged. Still works, and I don't rly care about them, just worried that it might damage something over time if I leave it unplugged. Is that a possibility?

Posted : 30/04/2021 3:17 pm
Share: