Nat from UK

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
nathan1
(@nathan1)
Topic starter

Hi,

I have a PC3K6 and an K2000. Only recently picked up the Kurz stuff so still learning. The seqeuncer stil is a bit hazy. Been having fun creating side-chain-esque effects recently.

VAST feels quite intuitive to me, but I'm disappointed with the slow attack envelopes on the Kurz stuff for filters - no 'thip rez' noises - booo. Being a software/hardware kinda guy, (and having read Hal Chamberlains book once upon a time, and guessing what's probably going on in terms of coefficient generation), I can understand why this might be, but it's a right pain! and no better on the PC3K than the K2K!? OK, there's that attackt splat thing, which does help a bit, but a thip-it-is-not. Anyone had sucess layering an FM made thip?

Not had a go with setups yet - only a few pre-sets - looks like there's a lot to learn in that - it's a very powerful controller, this thing - hopeuflly can learn to make some more complete cover sets. Started on a Kraftwerk Robots cover, but a way's to go yet, and with no thippy filter sweeps (see above), having to get creative or resort to samples.

Looking forward to trying out some of the other contributions!

Posted : 02/07/2014 3:51 pm
Malc
 Malc
(@malc_1588023930)

Hi Nathan1

Welcome to the forum.

Here are two semi-workarounds, there may be more:

1) Hidden envelope feature:
If you are using DSP waveforms instead of sample keymaps, then despite the apparent redundancy of the keymap setting, it can still affect the envelope. AmpEnv page, change envelope from User to Natural. Then try different keymaps, each of which has its own hidden envelope. These can sometimes have more bite. See below.

2) You can add bite using the 2 Parameter Shaper (and the pwm block as well I think).
With the right settings you can get a very short click, but sometimes the rest of the sound will disappear. You could add this as a separate layer, if it doesnt work within the DSP on the original layer.

A quick list of keymaps with short envelopes (I havent looked past the 200s yet).
Shortest first.

Attack, very short decay (bite):
263 ludicrous
230, 240 tighter
232 like Radio Gaga bass synth attack

Attack, short decay like AMPENV:

190, 215, 219 (louder)
208 inbetween
198 medium
129 (loud)

Plus nice release:
117 medium