4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Christian Kennedy
(@mightywhitey)
Topic starter

Hi all!

My story is as follows:

I'm a keyboard player/producer from the Boston area, and a recent resident of 'Kurz-land.' For the last couple of years my Korg Kronos 2 was the centerpiece of my live rig (prior to that, it was just a laptop and MIDI controllers) until it started crashing to the point of being unreliable (not long after Korg decided to discontinue them and parts became scarce, and expensive). I refused to buy a Nautilus because...... WTF were they thinking with that big step backwards in evolution??? I mean, $2-3k and NO AFTERTOUCH??? No thank you!! Also, it seems like all the major companies are putting out flagships that are either lacking something fundamental (or implementing it in a terrible way), or they just sound like utter shite.

Anyhow, I'd always heard that Kurzweils were something special, but had never had much opportunity to work with them. So I took a chance and bought a K2700, and I can honestly say that it is probably THE most luscious sounding workstation I've ever heard out of the box! And I can see the unparalleled potential for flexibility, and sonic beauty. That being said, it is also one of the most baffling synths I've ever tried to put the reigns on. I mean, I've got decades of synth programming experience (I even get paid to do sound design and programming for other keyboard players), but there's never been an engine that has kicked my intuition in the nuts as hard as VAST has!

So here I am....a man ready to once again be a milk-suckling infant, who might one day learn VAST to the point of being proficient. Perhaps I might even get good enough to one day, join the ranks of the fine folks here in 'Kurz-land,' who (much like Brother Fran) are quite obviously in what should be called "The Community Asset Column."

God Bless you all.

Christian (aka, Whitey)         

Posted : 10/02/2023 8:50 pm
Topic Tags
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin

Welcome aboard Whitey!

I would recommend you start just by tweaking existing Programs, and the rest will come easily.  There is no need to use every single feature under VAST in your everyday work. But there will be a time when you will actually need one of the obscure features and you'll feel like a king 😉

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 10/02/2023 8:58 pm
Christian Kennedy
(@mightywhitey)
Topic starter

@hipogrito Brother Fran,

I understand that you're an ACTUAL Kurzweil engineer, so I'd love to ask you a question from a design standpoint: If it is true that there is no actual way to achieve legitimate polyphonic portamento/glide (in it's standard form), would you be aware of the reason for such a feature to be left out, especially in the context of such an otherwise seemingly infinite range of possibilities? I'm gonna take a guess that there's probably some way to approximate that effect by using FUNs, or something. But I'm just curious as to what the thinking might have been, particularly when there's some kind of VA engine on board.

Whites

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Christian Kennedy

Posted : 10/02/2023 10:40 pm
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin

Well, a simple approach could be done in Multi mode, where you have mono programs in each zone and then use the Transposition parameter in the each zone to set them a third or a fifth apart... 

Fran

Posted : 12/02/2023 3:12 pm
Share: