Clear all

Fantasy by Aldo Nova

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
nappyhoose
(@nappyhoose)
Topic starter

I'm looking for the synth sound that walks down with the guitar at 1:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQgfaB3S1c

Posted : 10/01/2014 6:16 am
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

This is a song I know something about. The part that doubles the guitar is an OBXa "sync" type sound, pitch bend was set to an octave. If you played the song w/Aldo he's more concerned that you can double the bass part with a synth sound AND play the descending line at the same time, same thing in the verses. Live I used a Juno-60 for the synth/piano/bass part and a Memory-Moog for the descending line. I had a foot pedal assigned to bend the pitch of the memory moog down an octave when depressed. If I had to play the song now this is what I would use. The "lead" sound has after touch vibrato that you can lean into. You might try adding after touch pitch bend, or just use the pitch wheel. Aldo was very much into synthesizers, he programmed and played all the synth parts on his albums. He told me he started out with an ARP 2600. He knew the OBXa inside and out, later on he was into the Memory-Moog. TZ

PS: A little history about the band, the guitarist w/red Les Paul Kevin Carlson went on to play w/Scorpions, drummer Billy Carmassi is the brother of Heart/Sammy Hagar drummer Denny Carmassi. The bass player David Sykes went on to play with a latter version of Boston. Aldo is a very successful songwriter/producer from having worked w/Celine Dionne. I'm not in any of Aldo's videos, but I was on his tour for his 2nd album Subject: Aldo Nova. Aldo was managed by Sandy Pearlman (Blue Oyster Cult's manager.

Posted : 10/01/2014 3:46 pm
Share: