21 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
kali
 kali
(@kali)
Topic starter

Hello everyone !

Nice forum ! I have questions about Classic jazz B3 sound. I mean the solo sounds that it used by e.g Joey DeFrancesco or Larry Goldings. I tried to make this sound on my SP6 sound editor KB3, but the sound is not much like orginal B3. Nord and Kronos have very Similar sound to B3, so I Think it's possibile on Kurzweil KB3 too...

The sounds I am writing about:

https://youtu.be/F5ba5SVcTP4

https://youtu.be/tb1b0l1Z70E

https://youtu.be/IDwsViV_1Z4

https://youtu.be/iQlV37herbI

Do You have any ideas?

Regards, ;)
Kali

Posted : 27/04/2019 11:54 pm
thin_i
(@thin_i)
Trusted Member

Hi,
Are we talking about the organ setting meaning dwarbar settings etc. or about the organ tone itself?

Here’s some info about jazz organ settings:

http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/StandardJazzRegistrations.

In many of your example videos the rotary speaker (Leslie) was turned off (”stop mode”). You can do this on SP6 fx mod settings. You can and should assign a controller for that function to use it live. Also remember to use controller pedal to adjust the playing volume in real time. Using the pedal will also affect the preamp input gain (amount of overdrive) just like in the original Hammonds.

If you mean the organ tone (things like equalization, level of drawbar leakage and the level of keyclick etc.)
Then it’s a diferent topic.

In general, yes you can get Kurzweil KB3 to sound very nice and it can sound (”as good”) as Nord, Korg or Yamaha clones.

Any help?

Thin_i

Posted : 28/04/2019 10:23 pm
kali
 kali
(@kali)
Topic starter

Thank You thin_i !

Your post is helpful.
I think the prolem is organ tone settings (?), becouse I tried set:

Upper 88 8000 000. Chorus C2. Percussion On, Soft, Fast, Third. Stop lesie.

It does not work good ...

I don't know, if this is good idea build this sound on preset sounds.
I'm working on "SoulPercOrgan" from (Sp6 or Forte SE). This is the most similar, but still other sound ... I'm understand, it will never be 100% original sound, but i think I'm doing something wrong.

Korg Kronos and Nord Stage have great fabric preset, unfortunately Kurzweil Sp6 have not.

It would be best to me have one final object file...

Posted : 29/04/2019 7:00 am
thin_i
(@thin_i)
Trusted Member

Hi,

Attached you'll find an organ program (Thin_i Jazzy B3) I created for my PC3A7. I've spent quite a lot of time trying to match KB3 with real B3 tone and this is the closest so far. I also have spent tremendous amount of time trying to get the Kurzweil rotary speaker fx to sound like a real Leslie (122). My edited rotary speaker fx chain is also included in the organ program file (remember to load the program dependencies).
PC3A-series have a button called "SW" which takes care of the rotary speaker stop mode. You may need to change it in your SP6. Mod. wheel adjusts the amount of overdrive.

Hope you'll find this program suitable for your needs. Feel free to give a comment about it.

Best regards,

Thin_i

Posted : 29/04/2019 8:37 am
kali
 kali
(@kali)
Topic starter

Yeah !!! :) Thank you !! This is what I am looking for.

One thing that could be improved is the percussion sound. If I play monophony and staccato is good, but If I play polyphony or legato, percussion sound disappears.

You can also brighten up, but It's a detail.

Thank you very much for your time. This is the best organ sound,that I played on Kurzweil :)

Best regards.

Kali

Posted : 29/04/2019 9:43 am
thin_i
(@thin_i)
Trusted Member

Yeah !!! :) Thank you !! This is what I am looking for.

One thing that could be improved is the percussion sound. If I play monophony and staccato is good, but If I play polyphony or legato, percussion sound disappears. i

Hi,

This is normal. That is how the percussion works on a real Hammond.

You can brighten up the sound by using the eq (built into kb3 mode). I have
lowered the level of high frequencies in the program (and it might be too dark for your
taste).

Regards,

Thin_i

Posted : 29/04/2019 10:33 am
kali
 kali
(@kali)
Topic starter

Ah ok. How did You created this sound? Start from initial, clear program or factory preset?

Posted : 29/04/2019 10:44 am
thin_i
(@thin_i)
Trusted Member

Ah ok. How did You created this sound? Start from initial, clear program or factory preset?

You can not start your program from scratch in kb3 mode. You'll need to start the editing from a factory program.
My organ program has gone through so many iterations that I can not remember the source program any more.

Posted : 29/04/2019 12:29 pm
kali
 kali
(@kali)
Topic starter

Ok. Thank You !

Posted : 30/04/2019 5:37 am
kurzweilking
(@kurzweilking)

thin_i
Thanks for uploading the B3 sound , If of any interest im working on a set of Wersi Organ sounds and Hammond H100 / x66
I will gladly share these once completed - let me know if interested ,
Cheers :)

Posted : 30/04/2019 2:12 pm
thin_i
(@thin_i)
Trusted Member

thin_i
Thanks for uploading the B3 sound , If of any interest im working on a set of Wersi Organ sounds and Hammond H100 / x66
I will gladly share these once completed - let me know if interested ,
Cheers :)

Hi,
I’m always interested in new sounds!

Thanks,

Thin_i

Posted : 01/05/2019 5:18 am
waidelh
(@waidelh)

Hi thin_i,
Love your JAZZ B3, one of the best I have in my Forte. The Tone, C3 Chorus, and Percussion, are right on. I wouldn't mind the Leslie doppler effect to be a bit stronger, but that's just my taste since I used to sit in front of my Leslie. Any suggestions? Thanks for uploading your file.

Posted : 01/08/2019 9:34 am
thin_i
(@thin_i)
Trusted Member

Hi thin_i,
Love your JAZZ B3, one of the best I have in my Forte. The Tone, C3 Chorus, and Percussion, are right on. I wouldn't mind the Leslie doppler effect to be a bit stronger, but that's just my taste since I used to sit in front of my Leslie. Any suggestions? Thanks for uploading your file.

FILE UPDATE!: Corrections to the rotary speaker fx chain: No more unwanted digital distortion with "all out" drawbar setting. An erroneous mic panning setting also corrected.

Hi waidelh,
Thank you for your kind words. The Leslie in the program is "mild" intentionally so it can be used in the studio environment. In my opinion if the Leslie sim fx is too strong it is hard to get the rotary sound to sit in a mix (unless you play and record through a keyboard or a guitar amp and can move the microphone(s) away from the speaker cone to tame the tremolo created by a rotary speaker fx).

Personally I use more "stronger" sounding rotary fx chains in my kb3 programs when I play live (I mostly play with pop and rock bands).

Attached you'll find the same Jazzy B3 program (named Thin_i Jazzy B3 2) but now with a slightly more prominent rotary speaker fx.

If you still need more prominent rotary speaker sound you can adjust the Low Trem and Hi Trem parameters in the kb3b fx. You can also adjust the LowResonate, LoRes Dly and HiResonate, HiRes Dly parameters to get the sound you're after.

Feel free to give a comment about the "new" program.

Best regards,

Thin_i

Posted : 02/08/2019 6:10 am
waidelh
(@waidelh)

Hi Thin_i,
Thank you for the programming tips and the updated Jazzy B3 sound file. I like the doppler effect better. This is a very good organ sound. Very much appreciated.

Posted : 05/08/2019 9:07 am
neilcrewe
(@neilcrewe)

Hi Thin_i,
Is there any chance you could create a version of this for an SP4 keyboard? You probably can't create the same Leslie effect on a PC4, but I'd very much like to have the basic program.

Posted : 02/09/2019 7:54 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: