Clear all

Turn me loose Loverboy sound +glissado

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
aztech222
(@aztech222)
Topic starter

My Band and I want to play "Turn me Loose" by "Loverboy".
The sound I think is a sawtooth played on an old Yamaha CS50.
I have the sound "Classic Comp" which is similar but it does not transpose well 2 octaves higher. :(
The other difficulty the first chord of the song : G-A-D-G goes on a glissando for two octaves.
I can program the pitch bend it sounds a bit like it (but again Classic Comp sound does not transpose well)
and its pitches up too smoothly compared to the original song.I don't know if its possible to do better :?:
Plus in the song he uses a sort of honky tonk piano and a digital breathy sound.
It would be nice to have all 3 on just my PC3K8 or PC3LE 88 keys :-)
I can tweak sounds a bit but i'm not much of a synth programmer.
Could someone help me out on this one. Thanks and Have a nice Day Chris

Posted : 22/09/2013 3:37 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

Have you tried assigning an envelope generator to control the pitch? I posted a couple patches that utilize this. One called swoop brass and one called swoop strings. I can't remember if you can get a 2 octave sweep, it might be worth a try. Maybe a ribbon controller would help. Hard to justify getting one if you only need it for one song.

Posted : 24/09/2013 2:49 pm
aztech222
(@aztech222)
Topic starter

Like I said, I can tweak sounds a bit, but i'm not much of a synth programmer ;-)
I wouldn't know how to assigning an envelope generator to control the pitch.
I searched and found swoop strings but didn't find swoop brass ... i don't know if i'll be able to tweak it to get the sound I want ...
I don't have a ribbon or really want to buy one but if i had the plans i could build one but it's only for one song ...

Posted : 24/09/2013 3:19 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

Try the attached program. If you go to Envelope 2 and adjust Attack 2 you will be able to control the speed of the sweep. Attack 1 sets the starting pitch. An after thought I have, you should mute layers 2 & 3, get the sweep where you want it, then make Attack 2 faster on layer 2 and maybe slower on layer 3. You'll get that Oberheim OBXa portamento where the speeds are slightly different and makes for a real gnarly growl as it slides. If I had to play this in a band, this is how I would do it. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Posted : 24/09/2013 4:32 pm
aztech222
(@aztech222)
Topic starter

Thanks. Cool the sound is very close to the original and transposes well
But the portamento takes about 5 seconds to shift 2 octaves and it should take about 2 seconds
and it should be done with the pitch or mod wheel because the rest of the time the sound is needed
without the portamento ... ;)

Posted : 24/09/2013 5:36 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

As I explained in an earlier post, go to ENV 2 and set ATT 2 to 2 seconds. You can remove the swoop by removing env 2 from the pitch setting of all 3 layers, save that to another program spot. Just switch programs after the sweep part. If you want to use the pitch wheel, I suggest you pull it all the way down and bend to the center position.

Posted : 24/09/2013 6:33 pm
aztech222
(@aztech222)
Topic starter

OK, Thanks I'll try to see what I can do

Posted : 24/09/2013 6:48 pm
Share: