Can’t figure out how to use PC3K as play along drum machine

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
scradley1960
(@scradley1960)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have been struggling with how to set up a PC3K8 so I can just have a simple 4/4 or 3/4 drum loop playing while I play piano or organ or whatever along with it.
I have no doubt this board will do it but I haven’t figured out how.
I tried adding drums to a setup And used the play button but couldn’t get anywhere.
Can anyone give me some high level guidance.?
Brad

Brad
(Kurzweil PC3K8, Roland VR-760, Alesis Vortex Keytar, Peavey KB-300 Amp)

Posted : 21/04/2019 10:39 am
jankob
(@jankob)
Trusted Member

Hi,
did you look at the factory Setups? I have PC3LE and there is a Setup called Simple Writer that is pretty close to your needs. See the attachment, there is the Setup - a bit modified.
Remember, it is a PLE file, so maybe not all controller settings will be converted to P3K. So edit the Controllers to your needs ;)

Switch1 - Drums MuteZone
Knob1 - Drums Volume
DrumPad1 - Drums Riff Start/Stop (maybe change only this one controller to a switch)
Swith2 - Piano MuteZone
Knob2 - Piano Volume
Swith3 - Bass MuteZone
Knob3 - Bass Volume
MWheel - Aux FX Wet/Dry

Posted : 23/04/2019 5:00 am
mikeh11
(@mikeh11)
Trusted Member

Using a pre-made setup like @jankob suggests is the way to go. It looks like only the PC3LE has that specific one, so load his copy and try it. However, if you need to make your own ...

What you're looking for is Song mode. Once there you can record your own tracks and loop them. Once you have a song, you can let it play, and play live over it. Or, in a Setup you can trigger Riffs (which are segments of a song).

The PC3K Musician's Guide (v3 Sep 2018) pdf has everything you need. Chapter 15 "Tutorial: Song Mode" should be helpful.

The song tutorials in the PC3 manuals cover a lot of ground. The introduction to song mode from the old K2000 manual got right to the point with recording a drum track. Maybe that will help? I've attached an excerpt from that manual. (can I do that?!?). I'm sure there are differences in the interface, but it should be close enough (I hope!). Good luck!

K2000R 3.87J | MBP 2012 macOS 10.14.6

Posted : 27/04/2019 4:31 am
Share: