5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi there!

Today I got My sp4-7 that I will use on gigs as a "pc3-light". Not the best keys but I Will probably get used to them....I hope.

When I created at four-zone split the kb3sounds disappeared and could not be chosen i n zone 3 or 4. The answer to that was on kurzweil.com. It also "robbed" the setups other sounds voices and quickly "cut" the piano and brass sounds notes.

In a way its explained on kurzweil.com (sp4-7 link) as well.

Copypasted here:
"When used in a Setup (split/layer combination) KB3 Programs should be used on zone 1/channel 1
KB3 programs consume a lot of polyphony, so are best used solo or in simpler combinations like a bass/organ split.
KB3 programs consume a lot of FX DSP so when used in combination with other sounds, they can often rob the other programs of their FX."

I'm a bit puzzled anyway.
The split was with a piano and organ layered playing a chord with three notes. The other sound was a brass, Also with three notes playing 2 or 3"hits". Thats a total of 9-12 of the sp4-7 64 note polyfony. Should this really be happening? I have used the same kind of setup (and even more sounds in it ) on both PC3 and PC3k and nothing like this ever appeared.

Posted : 27/03/2014 4:37 pm
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

No one here who can help?

Posted : 29/03/2014 8:20 am
churchkeybob
(@churchkeybob)

I'm not the top expert on this. However I play a SP4-8 at church and practice on my PC3x at home.
I think you answered your own question. the SP4 has half the polyphony of a PC3. So I think you just found out what less prossessing power gets you in a "PC3 light". That being said I've learned to work with less on my SP4 and with practice and a little creativity, I'm very pleased with the sounds I use at church. When I first started playing the SP4 I was using already layered sounds in setup and trying to add more layers and splits (incl. B3 ) and very quickly the board started cutting out some of the sounds.mostly with sustained chords. One possibility is to line up the sounds you need in the user slots in "setup" and and then move from one setup to the next durring a song. If you need all the sounds at once you will simply need more prossesseing power. I hope this helps. ~BOB

Posted : 30/03/2014 11:31 am
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you for reply.

Yes, I understand that I need to "learn" to work with less polyphony, and I dont think it will be a problem. The only thing is that even with a simple "piano+strings" layer it doesnt take long for the voices to cut. Can it be like this, that a program sound uses more polyfony or am I doing somethinh wrong? I´m not sure if I´m doing things the right way for example when I´m creating a setup.

Yesterday I made a setup with piano and organ layered and a single brass at the top of the keyboardrange. Thats three parts. When I go through the menu, I see that only three parts are active. Good. But somehow it happens that I also hear a string-pad in the background. I also checked that the pianoporgram wasnt a pnostring preset. Nowhere in the menu I could find the strings that I hear in the setup.

Suggestions?

Andreas

Posted : 31/03/2014 1:34 am
kurzfan
(@kurzfan)

I just joined the ksetlist and saw your posting. You might benefit from monitoring voice/polyphony allocations of each program in your setup using the PC3X's "Voice Status Page" found under (MASTER>>UTILS>>VOICES). I believe the sound ROM is the same for both the PC3X and the SP4-7 so each program sound in your SP4 setup should be available on PC3x for monitoring. Unfortunately, the Voice status page only works with individual programs and not setups, so you have to add up each program's use. Note, KB3 sounds constantly use voices whether playing a sound or not at one voice of polyphony for every two tone wheels. Another benefit of the PC3X's Voice Status Page is you can get a real-time feel for voice consumption when using the sustain pedal. If you are exceeding the 64 voice limit, perhaps you can slim down one or more of your setup's programs by editing a stereo sound to mono and using effects for a pseudo stereo fill if needed. Good luck!

Posted : 12/04/2014 5:59 am
Share: