41 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
19 K Views
geoela
(@geoela)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Does anyone have an opinion on this comparison? I have heard the Epic series and German Grand samples only on computer (You Tube). To me, (and I have not played or heard either live) the Epic Grand sounds much better. Also, they don't eat your only exp slot. Has anyone played/heard these actually played from a PC3K yet so as to give a proper critique? I am anxious to find out which one is the best choice.

I have been crying for new pianos for my PC3K8 for a while now, and here we have 2 competitors now. Awesome!! Keep them coming. Now, if we could get Guido from GSI to convert the VB3 to a Kurzweil file!!!???

Posted : 30/01/2015 4:05 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

VB3 in the a Forte 76 key, sold.....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 30/01/2015 5:36 pm
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member

I´ve tried the "test-file" Epic Grand for the PC3K6 (now I have a PC3K8). I i can't say that I was thrilled over it. It sounds ok, but way to thin for my taste. I will go for the Kurzweil expansioncard.

I also have the grand piano sample for the M3.

They are good but something is missing - don't know what, but maybe its that I like "softer" piano samples….

Posted : 12/02/2015 2:21 pm
geoela
(@geoela)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you andymusic. Where did you find the test file? I have looked on the website. Can't see anything.

Posted : 13/02/2015 3:25 pm
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member

Just send them an email and ask for a demo-version.

They have a great support and is a nice contact.

Posted : 14/02/2015 6:32 pm
geoela
(@geoela)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Great! Thanks again!

Posted : 15/02/2015 9:10 am
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member

But still…..when will it be released…? The German Grand.

Posted : 23/02/2015 12:23 pm
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Maybe never. Mabye they will. Who knows. Those new samples are a main argument to sell the Forte and the Artis and the new pianoboard for the K´s. They´d destroy their own business with a sampleset for the K.

Posted : 23/02/2015 3:18 pm
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member

I don't think I understand. They (Kurzweil) have the german grand expansion rom on their products list. And they have announced it recently. Why release a product and not sell it?

I just wonder why it takes so long before you can buy it anywhere.

Posted : 24/02/2015 10:55 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Ah, okay, it was a misunderstanding.

Posted : 24/02/2015 2:02 pm
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member

yep, I saw your reply and I also misunderstood.Still…..where and when can we buy the expansion for the K-series? :D

Posted : 24/02/2015 4:35 pm
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

I've had the Epic grand for a few months. Its not bad, but in no way has it become my "go to" piano.
It really has only expanded the styles of pianos I have in my pc3k. I still prefer the Kurzweil Studio Grand and the minor customizations that you can create from it.
I haven't tried the German grand but I would bet it is vastly superior to the Epic grand just based on the stock Kurzweil pianos in the PC3 line being better than the Epic's to begin with.

Posted : 25/02/2015 9:43 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

I think the Epic grand sounds good for my personal taste. It has something the PC3 has not - some kind of a more "wired" sounding, sharper and somewhat more open sound. It´s more like a Yamaha Motif piano. So I guess it complements the internal PC3 piano well, because this is a darker, but still one of the deepest I ever heard in a workstation. Just to have one more, really different one. I am no piano-player, so I am not too picky with details like pedal noise or resonant effects. I just need something good sounding in a mix and in a band with live-situations.
Well, since I do not own it, this tells nothing about the "feel" you have while you play the programs and how they are programmed. And how well it places in a mix. But the demo sounds really nice in a way I like it.
However, it seems good, but also quite pricey.
I am about to build another one. And sell it for much less, lol :mrgreen: Let´s see how far I can come with what I have here.

Posted : 25/02/2015 10:04 am
andysmusic
(@andysmusic)
Eminent Member

Interesting. Tell us more!

I am about to build another one. And sell it for much less, lol :mrgreen: Let´s see how far I can come with what I have here.

Posted : 09/03/2015 3:06 pm
geoela
(@geoela)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

So Kaffi, are you doing this right from scratch...from your own original samples as well? Keep us posted on your progress.

There was a program on the old Kurz forum called Open Grand and Closed Grand. They had some great sound qualities. The sustain was really nice. It did not go to that fake, digital sound a second after you began the sustain pedal, like the stock pianos in the PC3K. It is a little thin and tinny on the lower notes, but still a nice job in programming. A few tweaks and it would be close to perfect. I wish I knew how to do that tweaking. I don't remember the guys name, but good job!

Good luck to you Kaffi. I will be waiting to hear your creation.

Posted : 09/03/2015 5:30 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: