41 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
19 K Views
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Hello,
the samples I used on my first run are not my own (for now), I used a free sample library, the "Salamander Grand".
It has a nice, also kind of "wired" characteristic, this is what I am looking for. It has also tons of samples in full length with 10 different velocities. I reduced it to 3 velocity layers in stereo, cut every sample to short looped size, now that the complete piano has a reduced size of 60MB with notes from A0 to #F7.
It works so far, but I am not satisfied witht the result by now. I guess 60MB is okay for a decent good sounding piano while you have a VAST synthesis at your side that can do a lot with it. So this is not the point. But especially around the C4 area, some samples don´t have the right attack to sound punchy when needed. Plus, when pumping the samples up to get a compressed decay, they start to show lots of noise.
I took me lots of time to figure out what software I want to use and how to process the samples to make them a good raw material for the synthesizer. But now I have gained some experience for a second run-up and I know I will be faster next time.
The piano I have now is kind of "okay" but not really good enough to show (might ruin my name, lol) and since I don´t really own the samples, I can´t charge money for my work.
Maybe I will go out and sample a piano on my own. Let´s see what happens.
But well, everybody is invited to do some own experiments. I gladly share my experiences I have made with current software and the PC3K. While you look around in the internet, you will find some free sample libraries of different sounds. You are not allowed to charge money for them, but they are great to start some experiments.

Posted : 10/03/2015 3:46 am
izmopa
(@izmopa)

I am creator of Alicia Grand. I can give this piano sample for you if you give your opinion to here. I have also Epic Grand but I have to say that I am always playing Alicia Grand. Demos are not good but real sound is...

Posted : 16/03/2015 8:35 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

EDIT: Hi, I found it, this one I guess?:
https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/prod ... es=EUR,all
Is there a demo somewhere? I mean, someone playing? You wrote demos are not good, but I did not find any.
EDIT II: Okay, I found the main page with demos:
http://kurzsamples.com/
Well, if you need somebody to do a review here - and maybe on Youtube, I volunteer :)
I remember I have seen this one some time ago, but I had no K version back then. It seems you managed to keep it pretty compact. Interesting.
Maybe you should talk a bit more about this one to let the people know what you have done here. More advertising.

By the way: I like Alicia Keys style, because I like to play soul and funk.

Posted : 16/03/2015 12:04 pm
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Hm, is your offer still valid? Nothing heard of you any more. I guess I have to start sampling on my own...

Posted : 18/03/2015 12:44 pm
izmopa
(@izmopa)

hello Kaffimusic, Please send request trough kurzsamples.com contact us form, then I will send sample library to you... By the way your youtube videos are great :)

Posted : 19/03/2015 1:40 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Okay, done. I am courious. And thank you for both - the A.Grand and the comment on my videos ;)

Posted : 19/03/2015 8:05 am
geoela
(@geoela)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Just noticed the new piano expansion rom on Sweetwater site for...choke choke... $599.00, and that's with $100.00 off. Not sure about anyone else, but to me that sounds pretty expensive. I would have figured maybe $200.00. Must be totally killer piano sounds.

Posted : 25/03/2015 9:16 pm
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Hm yeah. Everybody asked for a new piano. Now it´s kind of "If that´s the solution, I want my problem back".

Posted : 26/03/2015 1:04 pm
geoela
(@geoela)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Haha. Funny Kaffi. You're somewhat correct. I too want new pianos for my PC3K8. I am currently waiting for my Kore 64 to arrive. $299.00 + tax is reasonable. But $599.00 + tax is a bit much. After showing loyalty to Kurzweil in buying their product, I think they can get the price of an upgrade/addon down a little lower. JMO.

Posted : 26/03/2015 1:51 pm
johmette
(@johmette)

A little late on this, but I went ahead and purchased the Epic Grand and didn't like it. It does sound thin on the Kurzweil. Thin and Boxy is how I would describe it. Kevin with KSounds is very supportive, but I still feel like I spent the money for nothing. Maybe if it was tweaked some more, but that was the point of paying for it wasn't it. I'm tempted to buy the expansion slot German D etc., but it's way too expensive right now.

Posted : 28/04/2015 4:11 pm
mojkarma
(@mojkarma)

Just noticed the new piano expansion rom on Sweetwater site for...choke choke... $599.00, and that's with $100.00 off. Not sure about anyone else, but to me that sounds pretty expensive. I would have figured maybe $200.00. Must be totally killer piano sounds.

Honestly, that price is shocking!!!!!!
I mean, you can buy the Artis 7 or SE for double of the price for a simple chip that holds 128 Mb of sample data. That's not expansive, that's irrational.

Posted : 04/05/2015 9:29 am
K-Sounds
(@k-sounds)

Maybe if it was tweaked some more, but that was the point of paying for it wasn't it.

I respectfully submit that no, that was not the point.

No sample developer can perfectly accommodate every individual taste or provide enough presets to fit every individual mix without adjustment. A skilled developer provides great-sounding starting points, and it is up to the end user to mix the sounds. The great thing about having a programmable synthesizer is that you can adjust sounds as you see fit. With Epic Grand, the variety of presets and real-time controls means you might not even have to hit the Edit button.

I am disappointed to see a negative review from you. Epic Grand has audio and video demos on the website AND you were sent the free, playable demo version before you purchased AND I emailed you several specific ideas of how you could adjust the sounds to your taste, with the willingness to discuss more ideas if you were still not satisfied. I am at a loss for what more I could have done for you.

Keven Spargo
K-Sounds Sound Designer
New! Epic Grand piano sample for PC3K

Posted : 14/05/2015 9:22 am
johmette
(@johmette)

Kevin,

I'm sorry and I understand your position. You're speaking to a relatively new owner of the PC3K8 and I have not been able to find enough time and or even fully understand how to tweak the samples. I do appreciate your support and now I feel bad about expressing my frustration in a negative view towards your creation. For that again, I apologize. I'm sure, in most situations the Epic Grand fits many keyboardists' needs and only hope that you continue to create and perfect your craft. I appreciate your help and you are right! I purchased the Epic after hearing the demo file. You did not deserve my negativity.

Posted : 18/05/2015 1:07 pm
K-Sounds
(@k-sounds)

Thank you, johmette. I appreciate your willingness to understand my position and apologize. Not a lot of people do that these days. When you have time to explore your PC3K, I believe it will be a very rewarding experience. There's a ton of musical depth and potential there. I'm still happy to help with Epic Grand. If you try the ideas I sent and need further assistance, please feel free to email me.

Keven Spargo
K-Sounds Sound Designer
New! Epic Grand piano sample for PC3K

Posted : 20/05/2015 10:33 am
billbk
(@billbk)
Eminent Member

Kevin, in your response to Johmette you mentioned "If you try the ideas I sent".
Are these tweaking suggestions beyond the control settings list that came with the original download? If so, any suggestion that you can share here?

Posted : 20/05/2015 8:58 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: