Clear all

Even organ volume across keyboard

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Coker
(@coker)
Topic starter

Normally, SP6 KB3 organs seem to be a lot louder at upper octaves than at middle octaves. Is there some EQ setting somewhere, or an Aux effect, than can even volumes out?

Posted : 22/07/2018 6:16 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

I dont have an sp6 but on the pc3 series there is a parameter called "uppervoladjust" on the tonewheel page. Reducing the amount of this parameter reduces the scream factor in the upper register of the keyboard. If the SP6 has a similar parameter back the parameter off until the desired balance is achieved. It is set like that because this is how a real B3 emu!ates in the upper octaves. Also I found that setting the "wheelvolmap" to mellow rather than bright emulates a 50's B3 rather than a late 60's B3 which also screamed less and is slightly less thin in the upper octave.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 22/07/2018 1:04 pm
Coker
(@coker)
Topic starter

Thanks, Delaware Dave.

I don’t see any such parameter on the SP6 or in its IOS editor. Maybe that parameter is embedded in one of the presets or Leslie effects chain.

Posted : 22/07/2018 2:24 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

It's part of the organ, it's not a leslie parameter. I guess the SP6 doesn't support the detailed organ parameters because it is a stage piano rather than a workstation like the PC3. If you are using an expression pedal then I would suggest backing off the pedal as you move up the keyboard like you would on a hammond. If you are not using an expression pedal then I would suggest you acquire one (something that has a long sweep) like a Yamaha FC7, a Studiologic FP50, a Roland EV-7 ( not the crappy EV-5) or a Crumar Mojo expression pedal. All of these pedals have a long sweep like a Hammond B3 expression pedal and are compatable with Kurzweil except the FC7 which needs to have the tip and ring reversed (flip the polarity) to work properly. Here is how you would quickly flip the tip and ring on the Yamaha, this article shows you how pictorally:

http://barrysmixedreviews.blogspot.com/ ... 7_313.html

It was easy enough so I built my own adapter purchasing a 1/4" TRS female and a 1/4" TRS male. I simply wired the tip of one plug to the ring of the other, the ring of the plug to the tip of the other (flipped them) and ground to ground. I then plug the Yamaha into the Female TRS of the adapter and the male of the adapter into the keyboard. Works like a charm.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 22/07/2018 5:26 pm
Coker
(@coker)
Topic starter

Thanks, Dave. As a non-organist, I didn’t know that it’s normal to back off the expression pedal as you move up the keyboard. I had been doing that, but it was a tad annoying as it was using up my limited mental resources on pedaling rather than playing. I do have a Yam pedal with just the fix you describe, but I finally broke down and bought a pedal that can be set for either Kurzweil or Yamaha (plus it’s lighter for my gig bag).

Posted : 23/07/2018 5:10 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

It would only be "normal" if you wanted consistent volume across or wanted different volumes, but all hammonds have the top octave scream factor. The Kurz may have overdone this in their modeling which is why it is a clone and not the real deal. Sounds like it is not modeled correctly and accordingly overdone.

Posted : 23/07/2018 7:18 am
Share: