15 Posts
7 Users
2 Likes
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi,

As you know the previous version of Ksetlist had Google ads. Not a lot, but some. That was enough to cover like 1/3 of the expenses of the server. The rest comes out of my pocket directly.

Somebody in Facebook suggested to take Donations instead, obviously small donations ($5 - $10).

So, before I start working on the Google Ads for the new site, let me ask all of you this question to all of you:

Do you prefer a site with few ads OR a site without ads but with a small donation button for those who want to keep the site without ads and can do a small donation?

Please tell me your honest opinion,

Thanks,

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 27/05/2020 3:49 am
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

i don't mind a few google ads coming out, but I would suggest the donation option as more efficient. Or, like somebody else did, an optional subscription system. Btw, if ads only cover a third of the expenses, the two options could be run in parallel. 

I would personally happy to donate / subscribe. 

Posted : 28/05/2020 11:27 am
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks for the comments cecchino.

What I wouldn't want is to set up a donation system and only get like 5 people donating something. That wouldn't move the needle much and I would consider it kind of unfair to those few people. But if there is a greater response, then it could be worth it.

Meanwhile I will keep having a look at how to put few Google ads in the current system and see how annoying they are or not. It would be much cleaner experience without those but, in reality, we might just need them.

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 28/05/2020 2:41 pm
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi,

As you can see, I've gone both ways and we'll see how it goes. For now, only one ad on the right side. It's not too annoying there but we'll see if we need some more.

And there's now a donation button as well.

SSL has been added to the page so that it doesn't get a security warning, but that also costs money...

Posted : 29/05/2020 10:36 pm
MiNukurz
(@minukurz)
Eminent Member

Agree with minimal Ads and Donate button being a good place to start.

A lot of work goes into developing the site, monthly fees, addressing user/connection issues, site coding issues, and this resource in Invaluable to the Kurzweil User community, and to both Kurzweil and Young Chang as a marketing and support forum...Thank you Fran

Posted : 30/05/2020 3:25 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

@hipogrito

First off I'd like to compliment the new website and it's look and feel.  Much cleaner and more modern.

Secondly as far as donations and ads go my suggestion is to keep the minimal advertising and make the downloads available to contributors only.

There's a similar arrangement over at Mastering VAST and it has worked quite well for over a decade now.

Gary 😉

Posted : 30/05/2020 7:22 pm
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks for the comments.

Mastering  VAST is an amazing site with a tons of good documentation,  sounds and Kurzweil knowledge. I totally recommend everybody to sign up there. Ksetlist never had the intention to compete with that, and they know it very well.

Ksetlist is more a sound repository that is complementary to their site. Yes there is a discussion forum as well here, but I think it's also good to have some degree of diversity of sites. Humans are funny animals and each forum ends up having its own culture that some people like or don't. 

Also, The Keyboard Corner, although open to all brands, has helped me a lot in debugging problems of this site.

Anyway, if I can, I will avoid the subscription way to keep Ksetlist totally open. But I also have a wife... And we better not piss her off losing too much money...  😀

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 30/05/2020 9:10 pm
happyrat1 reacted
camem
(@camem)

For me it can be both (I paid). How often would you like to renew your donation? Every month, quarter, half year, year?

Regards
camem

Posted : 01/06/2020 4:02 pm
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks Camem!

Once a year would be great.

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 01/06/2020 9:09 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

@hipogrito

Agreed that a $5 a year donation is a trivial amount of money to keep things operating.

I don't see it as Competing with Mastering VAST but rather as a complement to them.

If we can keep two such valuable services operating for literally the price of a bag of chips and a beer then by all means it's well worth the expense.

Fran we don't want to disrupt the matrimonial bliss that keeps the site running so literally anyone who spent $thou$ands on a Kurzweil keyboard can afford that kind of loose change to keep up the support we all so desperately need. 🙂

Gary 😉

Posted : 02/06/2020 6:11 pm
jankob
(@jankob)
Trusted Member

I think a donation per year is very good idea. If it will help, let the Google ads too.

Posted : 02/06/2020 6:19 pm
camem
(@camem)

Is it possible for the machine to send me a reminder that it's been a year since my payment?

camem

Posted : 02/06/2020 7:38 pm
hipogrito
(@hipogrito)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi Camem,

I'll send a reminder after a year.

Thanks so much for the people that have started to contribute. It makes a big difference!

Regards,

Fran

Posted : 04/06/2020 4:19 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

@hipogrito

Fran >>>  Best beer money we ever spent buddy!!! 🙂  When you learn to love a thing, you gotta be willing to support it.

And we're all NUTZ FOR KURZWEIL!!!!  Rah! Rah! 😀 😀 😀

Gary 😉

Posted : 04/06/2020 11:37 pm
The Puppeteer
(@the-puppeteer)
Trusted Member

Glad to see you have every thing back up and running.

The donation model has worked really well at Mastering VAST. It pays for hosting and software registration, but nothing for the time of the admins and mods. We volunteer our time, and are happy to do so, because it's a really cool place to hang, same as here.

Google ads really don't pay very well unless you get a lot of traffic, and I count MV's traffic as moderate. When we have had ads, they have been direct ads, from a single advertiser, and they have paid a decent amount for it. We had a similar model at sonikmatter before Mastering VAST.

I'd rather pay the donation than see a page covered in ads, but maybe a hybrid approach with a discreet ad here and there might work.

Puting ads on your site will open up the cookie highway though, which we've steered clear from as much as we possibly can.

The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
Mastering VAST Forum

Posted : 20/07/2020 4:48 am
happyrat1 reacted
Share: