I could really use help keeping my PC3 files organized

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
fleece
(@fleece)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'd be very interested in hearing how you folks approach the organization of your programs/setups/songs/etc.

I'm sure it's a common rookie mistake, but every so often I'll dial up a setup or song I created a while back, and it will sound like poop because the custom programs I used have been moved.

I also make another rookie mistake of saving setups in logical groups (jazz/blues/rock) that are spread out (1000-1200/1200-1400/etc.) so I can give myself room to create new, similar setups in the same number range. But when I save the setups to disk and then reload them, they're all scrunched together sequentially.

I'd love to hear your approaches to this stuff. And perhaps there's a tutorial somewhere I can watch or read?

Posted : 07/11/2013 5:53 am
The Puppeteer
(@the-puppeteer)
Trusted Member

When I save to the PC3, I mainly just fill up banks, not really worrying too much about the type of sound. What I find important however, is that I tend to make sure that if I modify an underlying object (like FX, or Program, or Song), that I save a copy of that, specifically for the program or setup I'm building. That way when I save dependent objects to disk I know that I have the underlying objects AND I know that I haven't modified an object that is being used for a different program or setup.

If I need to compile sounds together I use the disk dialogs to select the specific sounds and save to a file.

When you load them back, if you select Merge, then they will be loaded back to the specific ID's that they were originally saved to. Fill and Overwrite will put them back sequentially.

I tend to save things to disk as either sound collections, or under folders like leads, pads, bass, drums, orchestral, Sound FX. Most of my stuff is electronic, so this works for me, but work out your own categories for your own style of music and save the sounds there to disk.

If you want to organize them on the PC3 itself, delete everything and load from disk using Fill into banks on the PC3 and you are instantly reorganized.

Hope this helps

The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
Mastering VAST Forum

Posted : 14/11/2013 7:19 pm
fleece
(@fleece)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

That helps quite a bit, many thanks!

Posted : 16/11/2013 4:21 pm
Share: