Clear all

Is The PC3K7 Still A Good Deal??

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
brentv
(@brentv)
Topic starter

It’s good to be back! I purchased a k2500 back in 1996 and used it extensively for many years until I got pulled into the world of DAW (Cubase 10 Pro) and soft synths. However, I’ve decided to upgrade my main keyboard. I was recently on the Sweetwater site and noticed that they had what looked to be killer deal on the PC3K7. The $1500 includes shipping and $700+ in add-ons (Kurzweil wheeled soft case, Core64, ribbon controller, and additional Sweetwater sounds). Here is the link: www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PC3K7-- ... orkstation. I realize this synth came out in 2010 and is basically at end of life (especially given the Forte and new PC4). It kills me that in 2019 they still even sell a synth with that screen, or only include 128Meg of sample RAM. But the sounds and controls really make me feel like it is the spiritual successor to my old k2500, with a huge number of improvements. It doesn’t have a sampler option, but I really only see myself sampling on the PC going forward. Since I am just a home recording enthusiast and occasionally play with friends, I really can’t justify the cost of the Forte. Because I use Cubase I also have been looking at Yamaha, but the Montage is also $3500 and the MODX looks great at $1500, but has limitations and is missing after touch (which I’d hate to lose). I’d really appreciate some feedback from this group on this deal, especially concerning the following:

1) Given all the soft synths I now own, I really can’t justify more than 1500-2000 for a hardware synth. Other than better integration with a DAW/soft synths and FM sounds, on paper the PC3K7 still looks like a stronger/more flexible synth than the MODX 7. But does anyone own a MODX that can comment on the sounds and compare the two synths?

2) Obviously the PC3K screen is a joke, but it is functional. But I’m very intrigued by the PC editor from Sound Tower, as well as the iPad app. If either of those work well then I could live with the pour onboard screen. But I have read mixed reviews of those. Can someone confirm as of 2009 that these editors/sound library actually work with the PC3K??

3) Again, having only 128Meg of sample memory (even though it is flash) is ridiculous in 2009. I know that Kurzweil is famous for fitting amazing sound quality into highly compressed files. But can someone comment how many different programs and additional samples they could fit in this? I love the Take 6 programs which are offered for free on the Kurzweil website (those sounds are one reason I’d even consider staying with Kurzweil). They also offer Synthscapes for free download. Can someone confirm if I could fit all the sounds from those two collections onto the PC3K at one time??

4) I’m also reading mixed reviews on what sounds from the K25/K26 really can be loaded into the PC3K, as apparently some of the DSP blocks and effects have changed. Can someone confirm if the K26 farm can be successfully loaded into the PC3K, or at least what rough % can be without in-depth re-programming?

The Youtube PC3K demos I have watched sound good, and it would be minimal learning curve for me. If you think the PC3K is just too dated and the PC4 is the way to go, then I assume they will eventually come out with a 76 semi-weighted version that might be priced around $1700. I’d be interested if anyone has heard a release date for the 76 key version or can comment on the PC3K versus the PC4. I really appreciate this groups honest feedback on whether the PC3K is worth buying in today’s market, even discounted to $1500 with a bunch of extras thrown in.

Thanks - Brent

Posted : 22/11/2019 12:41 am
wildbill
(@wildbill)
Trusted Member

I saw that deal too.
I was in a similar situation. I had a K2600 for about 10 years, and various other Kurzweils.
Moved to mostly soft synths, but was missing the K (except for the weight). I considered getting some version of the PC3K, but then the PC4 was announced.
I thought that I would probably regret going for a PC3K, considering what the PC4 can do, so I went for the PC4.
At that time, they were priced about evenly.
You could save a few hundred by going for the PC3K, and I think the PC3K is a good deal for that price.
But I also think that in the long run, you'd want to get the PC4 if you plan on keeping it for a fair amount of time.

ModX - I dismissed it as a keyboard, but would consider getting a rack version if they made one.

No experience with the editing program other than playing around with it while not having a PC3K.
There's no editor for the PC4 yet, but I don't have too much problem editing it from the keyboard itself.

Someone else will have to chime in about your #'s 3 and 4.

Most people hope there will be a PC4-76 and PC4-61, but there have been no announcements about it yet.

Posted : 22/11/2019 6:26 pm
brapoza
(@brapoza)

Just ordered a PC3K6 from Sweetwater, been wanting a Kurzweil since 1990, been a Korg guy forever

Posted : 30/11/2019 9:34 pm
eibinger
(@eibinger)
Estimable Member

Oh yes, I think, it is a good deal! I bought a new Forte7 two months ago. the sound is great, but the keyb is a little bit better for piano-players. I would like to get a forte7 without hammer-action, but there is no one to see. the waterfall-keys are a good compromise making music in a cover-band.

Posted : 02/12/2019 9:04 am
Share: