(@ivan-ps)
Topic starter

The noise problem with my Artis 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOD2Y9G6wk

Posted : 17/08/2015 6:29 am
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

That is a ground loop noise issue, not your keyboard. Best to Google "ground loop noise issues" and read a bit as to correcting it in your home and your setup. There are different ways to condition your audio signals and you would be wise to buy a device (many different types cheap to very expensive) to help eliminate them.

Posted : 17/08/2015 7:45 am
Ivan.ps
(@ivan-ps)
Topic starter

This is not a ground loop . The laptop is not in any way connected to the audio signal . If it was the change in the loop and the noise stopped when I disconnect the laptop , but it is noisy on.

Posted : 17/08/2015 8:22 am
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

Have you tried the laptop on a different outlet on a separate circuit from the keyboard and speakers? If no noise at that point, I would think its a ground loop. Otherwise I don't know.

Posted : 17/08/2015 6:39 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

My guess is that it's a noise issue generated by cheap or flaky components in the laptop switching power supply. ie. Switching noise from the supply. My advice is to try swapping out the laptop power supply for a new one. Even a properly designed generic supply would not generate that much noise and feed it back to the power lines. It may be a piss poor design or it may be the filter caps in the power supply are failing, but you're not only interfering with your Artis everytime you plug it in but also your neighbours' electronics as well.

Either that or have the supply repaired by a tech. Cheaper to just replace it with a generic unit.

BTW, no way it's a ground loop. Ground loops cause 60 Hz hum.

Gary ;)

Posted : 18/08/2015 12:03 pm
ioannes
(@ioannes)
Trusted Member

What a bad situation !

I agree with Gary, It is noise coming from a switching power supply, but I do not understand why It doesn't stop when the laptop supply is unplugged.
I have a laptop that generates a similar noise but it immediately stops when the supply is unplugged.
In your case It seems the switching frequency affects the keyboard and goes on in the keyboard circuit until PC3K is turned off/on.

Did you try to keep on the PC3K and to turn off/on just the amplifier ? What happens ?

Ioannes

Kurzweil PC3K6 Kurzweil PC2X Kawai MP5 Korg M50 ("B" team: GEM S2; Yamaha CP-30 - Ex: Yamaha PSR8000, Korg DS8, Korg DW6000, Roland D50, Roland Jupiter-4) - http://jcsbinasco.wordpress.com/la-band/

Posted : 18/08/2015 12:32 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

My guess is that the noise from the power supply is so bad it disrupts the stability of the Artis system clock and drives it into oscillation fits.

It also may be a design flaw in the Artis that the power supply in the keyboard also is poorly designed or marginal that it drives the Artis own switching supply to oscillation.

It may not be a bad idea to invest in some additional filtering and power conditioning for the Artis as well as replacing the flaky laptop supply just to make double sure that this doesn't happen again.

Otherwise if the Artis supply goes into sympathetic oscillation at the drop of a hat it could do some permanent damage to the keyboard.

Gary ;)

Posted : 18/08/2015 12:56 pm
Ivan.ps
(@ivan-ps)
Topic starter

Wow, you understand wrong .

He Kurzweil has this problem even when I turn on the laptop instead of anything else . Notebook was given as an example in the video.

Simply, if it comes to a sudden change of energy consumption from the power outlet and Kurzweil will take this strong noise .

It already happened at other outlets , and elsewhere - not at home .

Posted : 19/08/2015 12:51 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

What part of the world are you in and how stable is your electric supply utility?

It may just be crappy, unstable power from the power company.

If that's the case then you may need to add some sort of power conditioner to your Artis.

Something like an APC computer battery backup may be a good investment.

Gary

Posted : 19/08/2015 6:43 am
Ivan.ps
(@ivan-ps)
Topic starter

This problem also arises in other places, not only in my home . I got home and other keyboard and have no problem with my electricity. I never had any problem with any keyboard at home . The Kurzweil is the first keyboard with a problem . Next week , I will send for service.

Posted : 19/08/2015 8:42 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

You still didn't mention what part of the world you are in.

You also didn't mention how far you travelled with it.

Taking it across town won't help you get away from a crappy power company.

I still think you need some heavy duty power conditioning if your power company supplies third world power.

Gary ;)

Posted : 19/08/2015 11:27 am
Ivan.ps
(@ivan-ps)
Topic starter

I am from Slovakia . In our country Kurzweil instruments are quite popular and no one has yet met with this problem , so I'm convinced that my Artis has a manufacturing defect.

Posted : 20/08/2015 4:28 am
ioannes
(@ioannes)
Trusted Member

Reading your last details about the defect and your tests....yes.... It is very likely your Artis has a defect, you need Kurzweil service.

Ciao
Ioannes

Kurzweil PC3K6 Kurzweil PC2X Kawai MP5 Korg M50 ("B" team: GEM S2; Yamaha CP-30 - Ex: Yamaha PSR8000, Korg DS8, Korg DW6000, Roland D50, Roland Jupiter-4) - http://jcsbinasco.wordpress.com/la-band/

Posted : 20/08/2015 1:17 pm
Ivan.ps
(@ivan-ps)
Topic starter

Hello . So the problem with my 7 Artis resolve service .

The problem was power cables , audio cables and data cables were inside the tools in one bundle. Therefore it kept coming interference and signal noise .

Service power cables separated from cables for audio and everything works well .

Posted : 20/09/2015 12:36 pm
ioannes
(@ioannes)
Trusted Member

Thanks for your feedback, it is always useful to know such a tricks

Posted : 20/09/2015 11:10 pm
Share: