Kurzweil PC3K Power Supply Hum

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
88keys
(@88keys)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I just bought a new Kurzweil PC3K. When I am practicing and it is quiet in the house like late at night I can hear the power supply humming.
If I put my ear up to where the power supply is at (near the 110 volt ac plug input) I can hear it humming.

Does anybody else have the same issue? I don't know if it is normal or to send it back for a refund.
I have talked to people at Kurzweil and some say the hum is normal and some say it is too loud and to send it in.
They also had me check the case screws and some were loose but tightening them didn't stop or reduce the hum.
If I can get some input on here that will help me on what to do.

Beta tester for the Kurzweil PC3LE and Kurzweil PC3K.
Kurzweil PC3K7, Yamaha Motif XS8, Korg M3 Xpanded 73 Key w/Radius Exp Board and EXB-M256 Memory Expansion, Korg X3, Casio WK-3700, Korg DSS-1 Sampler.

Posted : 08/12/2015 9:50 pm
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

I have the same issue on my PC3K.
Sent to assistance, they told it's a common problem and they do not fix it if the noise level is under a given level (which is my case). No hum is being transmitted to audio outputs, however, so it' fine for me.

Posted : 09/12/2015 5:53 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

Yep, mine's been doing it for 4 years. No big deal.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 09/12/2015 9:51 am
88keys
(@88keys)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys for the reply. It's good to hear from other owners of the same product about any issues or problems.
I am not going to send mine in now that I know this is a common issue and the transformer is not defective.
Kurzweil told me if it does get louder over time to send it in and it will be taken care of. I have a one year warrent with Kurzwiel and a two year warranty with Sweetwater.

Beta tester for the Kurzweil PC3LE and Kurzweil PC3K.
Kurzweil PC3K7, Yamaha Motif XS8, Korg M3 Xpanded 73 Key w/Radius Exp Board and EXB-M256 Memory Expansion, Korg X3, Casio WK-3700, Korg DSS-1 Sampler.

Posted : 09/12/2015 11:57 pm
kurzway
(@kurzway)

I had the same problem. The thing is that the transformer is too close to the chassis of the keyboard. the problem was solved by putting a rubber pad on the chassis above the transformer.

Posted : 01/05/2016 10:53 am
Share: