8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
mojkarma
(@mojkarma)
Topic starter

Hi guys,
a new Artis user here.
Short description: I'm playing keyboards for over 20 years and usually I know how to find my ways around a problem. But this time I simply can't achieve what I initially thought would be quite easy.
I can't find a way to load additional sounds into the Artis. I tried both ways: directly from a usb stick and with the soundtower editor/librarian.
Is there any information how to do it. I searched everything: this forum, the kurz site, the soundtower site. Nothing. The problem is somewhat basic: I can't find the information what file format does the Artis read. How can I offer him additional sounds.
The same problem is with the soundtower editor. I was able to load the pc3_le_LIbrary.3prl file into the librarian but I don't see any way to access other sounds from the pc3k. By sounds I only mean the programs (and maybe their associated effects).

So, I would be happy if somebody would really know how to do it. A description posted here would help other Artis owners. Kurzweil put additional sounds for the SP4, but there is nothing for the Artis!

Posted : 14/04/2015 4:07 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

I don´t own an Artis, but I suspect it´s the nearly same like with the PC3 series.
Get a sound, for example download from here. Don´t use a setup (combination of sounds) that is done with a PC3. It may or may not work, because the PC3 can handle bigger setups with 16 zones. As far as I know the Artis just does 4.
Try it with a single sound instead.
While you got it on a USB-stick that is inserted in the Artis, there should be a menue with "storage" or something. There you choose load from storage (like being connected to a computer) or from the stick.
If there is something on the stick, you should see the name of the sound(s). Well, the rest is like usually - move the cursor over it, and execute. You may be asked to load the dependencies with it. Say yes. Choose a saving destination. You should choose a slot where is room for fresh shounds. It might mix into an internal list otherwise, I guess you don´t want this.
On a PC3 you can choose a range where it can be put. I don´t know about the Artis. I usually choose the place where my other custom sounds are placed and choose "append". That means it puts the sound in a place next to the last used slot. Dependencies the same.
Info: Dependencies are typically fx-chains that are custom made and that are linked to the sound. I don´t know if you are aware of that - the Kurzweils save fx separate from the programs that use them, not together as one single patch like other manufacturers usually do. Dependencies are also riffs or sequences that are attached to that sound (PC3 series).
Tell me if yo were successful.

Posted : 14/04/2015 10:48 am
mojkarma
(@mojkarma)
Topic starter

Kaffimusic, thank you very much for the explanation (Vielen Dank! ;) ) but I exactly tried what you suggest and that doesn't work on the Artis. I tried a single sound from the pc3le and it doesn't work. It says error loading file. In other words, the Artis doesn't recognize the .pc3 file.
But it seems to me that if somebody loads his PC3 into the librarian of the soundtower and exports all the sounds as librarian .3prl file, I'm able to load this .3prl file into the Artis editor/librarian and move the sounds into the Artis. But not a .pc3 file.

Again, thanks for your effort. I'd really appreciate if Kurzweil would give us some more help or if somebody would export all the pc3k content as a librarian file. Especially the Kore64 sounds.

Posted : 14/04/2015 11:17 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Hm, do you have the latest OS installed? The readme tells something about increased compatibility while loading PC3/PC3le files. Also here:
http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/forte ... isons/311/
they claim it works. So something must be wrong. The Artis should do this.
Maybe there is a menue about "importing" instead of "loading". I just can speculate. But it can´t be so far away from the PC3 since it is technically a brother with some altered features.
And my comment: Avoid the editor for things like this. It was crap on the PC3 and I think it still is on the Artis. And on the Forte. You might edit a sound with it, since you have no other choice, but don´tr try to move sounds back and forth with it. It might mess up your instrument. Or do nothing at all. Experienced users of the PC3 finally gave up to use this.
I don´t know if you did (since you wrote about the editor) I meant to do this on the Artis itself.

Posted : 14/04/2015 2:19 pm
mojkarma
(@mojkarma)
Topic starter

Yes, I'm on the latest OS.
Let me begin with the editor. Well, it is necessary because it's the only way to access the v.a.s.t. on the Artis. The only editable thing on the Artis are the multis. So, the editor is a must for the Artis. And I have to admit, the librarian is a great way to transfer selected sounds because you can select one on the list, send it to the Artis and preview it from there without writing it into the user memory if you don't want to. That's a great way to try the sounds out and import only those you wish.
I just want to access all those pc3 sounds (programs) and those created for the Kore64 which is installed on the Artis.

So, as I said, the Artis doesn't react when it sees a .pc3 or .p3k file! That's the problem. I'm not a newbie, I go to the load page, open the content of my usb stick, select a file and press load. Nothing happens. (There is no "import" function there, just the usual "load/save".
It can't be that I'm the only Artis user here?! I hope another Artis user with some experience will jump in.

But anyway, thank you very much for trying to help me.

Posted : 15/04/2015 7:22 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear that. Well, yeah, seems you did everything right. The usual answer in that case is: "Ask Jean from Kurzweil support". He usually answers fast as I heard. Maybe your Artis is a dud. Alternatively you may ask (via PM) Hipogrito. He works for Kurzweil, or at least he did the last time I checked.

Posted : 15/04/2015 7:33 am
The Puppeteer
(@the-puppeteer)
Trusted Member

There is a step by step process for loading files onto the Artis starting on page 9-13 of the manual. If the PC3 files don't show up in the dialog screen, try renaming the file so it ends with .art rather than .pc3

You won't be able to load sounds from PC3 files via the editor, only edit sounds that are already on the Artis.

The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
Mastering VAST Forum

Posted : 19/04/2015 10:26 pm
mojkarma
(@mojkarma)
Topic starter

Thanks Puppeteer for your advices. I have of course read all the instructions from the manual.
Now, I've tried again the loading, and it mostly works. Actually, my Artis reads a .pc3 sound file. I managed to load the Accordion.pc3 which was created by Dave Wiser. But I couldn't load some .pc3 files which appears to have all objects saved.

What doesn't work is to open a .pc3 file and load selected sounds. That was my main failure. I pressed the "open" tab an nothing happened.
Loading single sounds has to be done with the software editor. First I have to load a whole file into the Artis, than I have to load all those sounds into the editor and save it as an editor file. Then I can open the file with the librarian and transfer single sounds into the Artis.

Posted : 20/04/2015 4:44 am
Share: