Forum

PC3 LE - switch off...

Notifications
Clear all

PC3 LE - switch off FX (just bought a NEO Vent mini)

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I watched countless reviews so today I just pulled the trigger and got a Neo vent mini for organ. Trying to get as an authenticate Hammond B3 with Leslie as possible.

Anyway - so I am all hooked up - but I need to remove any Leslie FX that are on my organ patches. So I click Edit - go to FX - I see I am using a Leslie FX - I need to remove it - but it seems that I cant - all I can do is select another FX.

Not a problem I can easily pick a FX 002 (Soundboard - which appears to add little)

So I was wondering is that an actual way to remove an FX and have nothing ?

ps - the jury is still out on the neo vent mini and whether it is actually worth the extra £195 (about 300 dollars)

eCommerce software that lives in the cloud and can be used on multiple websites at the same time (FaceBook #1 ecommerce app) , physical products and digital / sound / audio / downloads - and it's FREE http://www.ecwids.co.uk

Posted : 04/11/2015 6:27 am
SpotlightKid
(@spotlightkid)
Trusted Member

AFAIK, on the PC3LE you can't edit FX chains. For the KB3 organs, the effects also handle some of the Hammond emulation stuff like vibrato and overdrive, so you'll need to establish which parts of the usual KB3 effects chain you still need and what is handled by the ventilator. Maybe then somebody on a PC3 can build an appropriate FX chain for you. I don't have a PC3LE, though, so I'm not 100% sure, that you can import effect chains from the PC3, but I think, it should be possible, if the do not use to many FX units.

Chris' Sound Corner

Posted : 04/11/2015 1:40 pm
Jean_Bellefeuille
(@jean_bellefeuille)
Eminent Member

I click Edit - go to FX - I see I am using a Leslie FX - I need to remove it - but it seems that I cant - all I can do is select another FX.

HI Voodoo. While you cannot scroll to a "0 None" selection, you can type in 0 then ENTER on the numeric keypad. This applies to both the Insert and Aux selections.

/JB

Jean Bellefeuille
http://kurzweil.com/support/operational/

Posted : 04/11/2015 1:54 pm
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

AFAIK, on the PC3LE you can't edit FX chains. For the KB3 organs, the effects also handle some of the Hammond emulation stuff like vibrato and overdrive, so you'll need to establish which parts of the usual KB3 effects chain you still need and what is handled by the ventilator. Maybe then somebody on a PC3 can build an appropriate FX chain for you. I don't have a PC3LE, though, so I'm not 100% sure, that you can import effect chains from the PC3, but I think, it should be possible, if the do not use to many FX units.

Ah - I didnt think about this - so how do I see what FX are in the chain - when I look at the particular patch Im playing with "Model1" I hit FX and I see KB3a & KB3b - nothing else - I cant see any particular settings

eCommerce software that lives in the cloud and can be used on multiple websites at the same time (FaceBook #1 ecommerce app) , physical products and digital / sound / audio / downloads - and it's FREE http://www.ecwids.co.uk

Posted : 04/11/2015 3:37 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

Read this, it will provide you some clues ...

http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/pc3/audio_output/295/

Kb3b removes the Leslie portion so it would need to be removed however the cabinet simulation exists (along w/other things like c/v) in kb3a. If you remove kb3a then you lose a lot of organ characteristics that you need. If you leave it then you'll also get the Leslie cabinet simulation. As the minivent for organ also supplies cabinet simulation that can't be turned off (original vent you can turn it off) you'll get exaggerated (and conflicting) cabinet Sim that will sound very unnatural ( and kinda bad). This is one of the disadvantages of the LE in not being able to edit FX chains. Someone with a PC3 could adjust a Leslie effects chain to "dry" and send it to you. Then you just import it.

I'm not sure if this is correct but is it possible to edit an LE effects chain via sound tower?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 04/11/2015 5:12 pm
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Dave

I guess the question I should have asked is , "is there anyone here with a LE that has a neo vent mini , and if yes how do you get the organ sound you want and what are the params etc" :)

"Someone with a PC3 could adjust a Leslie effects chain to "dry" and send it to you. Then you just import it." Any volunteers ?

What I found was that if I take a standard tone wheel organ in the LE - and then use the Vent - it sounds great.
If I then compare that to a KB3 patch like the Model1 - there is a difference in sound authenticity - the vent sounding the better. BUT - is it really £200 ($350) better ? ...... not sure

I am going through the LE organ patches and doing a like for like comparison, eg take a copy of the patch - remove any Leslie FX then engage the Vent.

If I didnt have a Kurzweil keyboard and instead had a 'bog standard' keyboard with average hammond patches - then I would definitely say keep the vent. I tried the vent on my old korg x50 - and the difference was amazing, like going from 5 out of 10 to 10/10

Posted : 04/11/2015 5:36 pm
PeetBr1
(@peetbr1)

Hi,
u can edit the FX Params ... etc. with the Soundtower Editor... i got it for my PC... and its run with the Win10 System well...

have a nice day ... greetings from Cologne Germany
Peter

Posted : 25/02/2016 9:39 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Peter ( I am also Peter)

Re FX Params - can I only edit this with Sound Tower or can I do it manually ?

I didnt really want to spend out again on a sound editor - especially as the vent only gives a small enhancement to the LE

Posted : 25/02/2016 10:02 am
PeetBr1
(@peetbr1)

Hi, edit only with the editor...
In the not KB... Programms u can often edit some parameter with the assignable controls... and mostly u can find out the right controller deskription when u press "info switch" under the display

final when u find it u can save u Programm with a new #.... number without the FX

sorry for my poor english... im not a nativ english speeker ;)

Posted : 25/02/2016 10:13 am
PeetBr1
(@peetbr1)

I've got a present for u ...

cut the lesly for u as example...

check it out ... :)

did it only with the PC3LE no editor used...

Posted : 25/02/2016 10:37 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Cheers Peter - My Kurz is currently in the bands practice room, so will try it out this weekend.

We have just had a PMT shop open up in the UK, and they have Korg, Nord electro 5d , Roland VR09, so it's great I can now compare my Kurz against them. The Roland is ok - a bit shallow on sound quality - but a good light weight gigging option. The Krome - is ok to. The Nord - I found a little cumbersome as far as trying to easilly switch sounds.

So far (apart from the weight) I'm preferring the Kurz LE6 every time. Maybe it's just my ears that have adjusted to sound of the LE, the korg pianos now sound a bit tinny and light weight.

Posted : 25/02/2016 1:44 pm
Share: