PC3 LE6 - crash bug happening again

16 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

When I first got my PC3 LE6 after 1 month - it would randomly crash - usually whenever I hit the 8 pads on the front.
It was sent back fro repair and I was told this is a hardwired fault and once it had been fixed it would never happen again.

Well - since last week its started happening again - select any program play a few notes and as soon as i just happen to hit of the pads - they then all light up, a few things flash - there is no sound and it is inoperable. Power off / on - it goes away. But it is easy to recreate - select a program - hit the pads and it crashes again.

This is so annoying - especially as I have a few gigs coming up. I hardly play live any more, but the thought of it crashing mid song - is embarassing really.

I dont have any warranty on it anymore - even though the same 'known' fault has returned - anyone is there a way of disabling these 8 pads on the front of the keyboard ? - as I dont use them anyway

eCommerce software that lives in the cloud and can be used on multiple websites at the same time (FaceBook #1 ecommerce app) , physical products and digital / sound / audio / downloads - and it's FREE http://www.ecwids.co.uk

Posted : 09/05/2018 6:32 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Clearly something was not properly fixed in your unit or it's still broken....

http://kurzweil.com/support/repair/

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 11/05/2018 6:52 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I brought the LE6 from Thomann in Germany (Im in the UK). I emailed them - they said (obvioulsy) it's out of warranty, they could look at it and would give me a quote for repair I pay for shipping there and return shipping. That will cost a lot.

I'm now trying Sound Technology PLC in the UK as they seem to be a distributor for Kurzweil in the UK.
Ive researched this problem and there are lots of mentions of it being an irregular power supply problem and that a power regulator may fix. I dont know if this is correct or not - any thoughts ?

Im waiting on Sound Technology PLC to get back to me.

eCommerce software that lives in the cloud and can be used on multiple websites at the same time (FaceBook #1 ecommerce app) , physical products and digital / sound / audio / downloads - and it's FREE http://www.ecwids.co.uk

Posted : 11/05/2018 7:22 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

If you have the Flashing LEDs problem... there is a solution. If the service center is official and have all the right information, they will know how to fix it for good.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 11/05/2018 11:52 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Fran

Thanks - Sound Technology PLC in the UK have said they can fix , but I think at a big cost to me - Im waitiong for a quote.

Is there a document anywhere re how to fix this problem?, I have a friend who fixes amps and is an electrical engineer - I may ask him to have a look at it.

This problem only happens when the front panel pads are hit - is there a way I can disable these in the O/S ?

Posted : 15/05/2018 5:55 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

There' is a blog claiming a permanent fix for the PC3LE Blinking Lights of Death problem.

https://jirin.web.althan.cz/201705-kurz ... -solution/

Use at your own risk but i don't really see what you have to lose by trying it.

Best solution is to not buy an LE in the first place though :P

Personally I dodged a bullet 4 years ago when I almost bought a PC3LE8 myself but at the same time I could buy a PC3K8 for only $700 more and opted for the more expensive keyboard and a longer payment plan.

If I'd bought the LE instead I'd probably be kicking myself right now.

Gary ;)

Posted : 19/05/2018 11:53 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

I would go with the official technical support.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 21/05/2018 6:29 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

The official Kurzweil Service Bulletin regarding this issue is also linked on that Blog Page.

Scroll down to the bottom.

I'd say have your engineer friend try the service bulletin approach first and if that fails then try the Blog method.

Gary ;)

Posted : 21/05/2018 6:36 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

That seems above my technical electrical knowledge , and possibly my engineer mate. I've asked Sound Technology if it's possible that I drive to their office and wait while they fix it. I dont trust UK post not to break it. I will lose a days pay and it will be around 7 hours drive there and back again. Plus I have to pay them to do the fix.

Seeing as the PC3 LE6 has already been 'fixed' once before - Im a bit annoyed at having to pay again for it to be fixed (it wouldnt happen if it was a car being recalled).

I have edited all the sounds I use and disabled the Pads on all of them - so when I hit them there is no sound. Since Ive done that - the problem appears to have gone away. Other than the strange problem I noticed last week - where on an organ patch - hitting middle A triggered to 2 notes to play - each note being a semi tone out (horrible sound). power reset and it disappeared.

I may just keep the LE6 in my little home studio and instead try and revive my old Korg x50 and Neo Vent for playing live or buy a second hand module that covers piano, rhodes,hammond and brass (if such a module exists)

Posted : 21/05/2018 9:14 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

Personally I agree that Kurzweil should own up to the fact that they released a lemon with the LE series and issue a full recall at their expense to fix any and all units suffering from the problem.

REGARDLESS of whether or not they are still under warranty.

I don't even own an LE but I'll probably never buy another Kurzweil if my K8 dies on me.

How a company treats its customers is crucial to its survival, a lesson which Kurzweil seems impervious to learning. :P

Gary ;)

Posted : 21/05/2018 9:44 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'll let you know how I get on.

The reason I like the kurzweil is the piano semi weighted keys and the sounds - it covers all the bases for me - add in a neo vent and its perfect. But if it crashes mid gig - it is useless to me

Posted : 21/05/2018 1:48 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

The Boot up LED Flashing problem might be an entirely different problem than your Pads problem. Only a technician looking into it might be able to determine that.

We normally group all the problems under the common known problems, but it could be anything related to the pads and not to the power supply...

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 21/05/2018 2:21 pm
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

You are (probably) 100% correct.

My Leds dont flash as such , they all come on at the same - including all the pad lights. I can still select different sounds but there is no sound. Only a hard reset will fix it.

Since Ive been playing in quick access mode it hasnt happened, also it hasnt happened when Ive been playing any sound where Ive disabled the pads

Posted : 22/05/2018 1:57 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

So, there is a chance that the problem is simpler to fix if it's some kind of connection problem between the drum pads and the boards... but only a technician would be able to tell that when opening the unit.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 23/05/2018 7:53 am
Eclipse69
(@eclipse69)
Eminent Member

Hello, I'm 99% sure that the problem is not listed in the JIRI link - https://jirin.web.althan.cz/201705-kurz ... -solution/
All lights must be blinking while you are charging, and with you there is something else ....
If you are no longer in warranty, open the board and easily turn off drum pads...I doubt this solves the problem, but it's a variant..
Before you do anything, I advise you to contact Kurzweil Operational Support (support@kurzweil.com) - Mr. Jean Robert Bellefeuille - this is your person who will solve your problem if you can solve without changing the main board as it happened to me :cry:
Best regards,
Krasimir Petrov

Posted : 28/05/2018 6:30 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: