Clear all

PC361 pitch bend wheel fix issues

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
marku
(@marku)
Topic starter

In 2012 I bought PC361 used from GC. After 7 months it started to wander out of tune (even when not using wheel) and was sent for warranty work where they said they replaced the pitch bend wheel. Seemed fine for a few months and then problem came back (off warranty) – could they have just cleaned it??? At the time I was so disgusted with that experience that I contacted Kurzweil support for advice and Jean graciously helped me through diagnostic testing it and then a software workaround to disable the pitch bend wheel in 126 and then in each setup I develop. (did not use wheel much at all anyway).

At the time in 2013 Jean at Kurzweil suggested I have issue fixed but I was so busy with it gigging that I did not want to give it up and workaround generally works (unless I hit factory setup by accident). Well- Jean was right I do need to fix it because if I hit factory setup by accident, that has wheel enabled, it immediately goes out of tune live – finally happened at gig [was amazed at how crazy it sounded seems worse with age])

When I use another board on bottom as key controller of PC361 sounds pitch bend from that other board and works fine and does not put PC361 out of tune so I figure it is likely the pitch bend wheel or that assembly with circuit board. Taking end cap off it is easy fix to replace either the wheel or the whole assembly (no issues with mod wheel).
I am hoping to get feedback on following questions (posted this at keyboards forum and was recommended to post here) :

1. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it by replacing wheel only and did that work or is entire assembly replacement required? (have found assembly online but not just wheel for PC361)? I have cleaned the connector contacts twice no fix.

2. Did the wheel or wheel assembly fix hold up? (the warranty work in distant past for me did not – I don’t mind the $109 if it will hold up – heck I barely use the pitch bend (use mod constantly and never had an issue). Doing quick ksetlist search I saw post about issues with pitch bend on PC3K8..

3. I am assuming might not be safe or boot properly if I just disconnected the wheel connector – is that the case? Is there a global way to disable for all setups (did not find global way to disable in master).

Posted : 03/05/2018 9:34 pm
da capo
(@d-c)
Eminent Member

My PC361 is from 2011 ...
I replaced pitch wheel pot twice and modwheel pot too meanwhile.
I´m a heavy pitchbender when it comes to leads, so after the 1st PB-pot replacement failed again already after half a year, we (me and my tech) decided not to use the original part (10k lin unsealed ALPHA pot) again and decided for the stuff Yamaha uses ... sealed (!!!) ALPS pots.

I forgot the pots model number unfortunately.
They are much smaller and require a very minor hardware mod of the PC3´s wheel/pot carrier panel sheet,- means you´d have to drill a new very small recess into that panel, needed to permanently lock the new pot into correct position.
Removing the left hand controller assembly from PC3 is easy.
Carefully remove the left endcap 1st, then carefully slide out the assembly and take care to the length of cables attached.
IIRC, it might be necessary removing some screws on the bottom of PC3´s case,- but I´m not sure.
Since I exchanged the original pots for ALPS, I never had to redo that work again !

Hope that helps.

You might do a search here @ksetlist or @Mastering VAST, probably also Keyboard Corner forums because I posted the ALPS pot model number in a former post long time ago.
At least I think I already did.

D.C.

Posted : 05/05/2018 6:19 am
marku
(@marku)
Topic starter

Thanks! helpful info. Yep 4 screws on bottom removes the whole assembly easily and if my memory serves me each wheel is held in by couple of screws. I'll go look for that post on your part modification.

Maybe at this point I'll buy a new assembly and then look for that mod if I have any issues after that. Heck I'll then have a spare mod wheel that is good. Weird how the tuning of instrument wanders around even if I don't touch the pitch bend wheel... (made me nervous it was something else). I use the mod wheel like crazy and never a lick of trouble (If the pitch bend were fixed I might use it more also)..

Posted : 08/05/2018 4:06 am
marku
(@marku)
Topic starter

Your input did help. After reading about open pot Kurzweil issues I decided to remove my pitch bend wheel and sprayed old radio shack contact cleaner in the pot and reinstalled and seems to be working fine per diagnostic (steady - good range 0 to 255 and 129/130 center) and in setups no tuning issues. I even re-enabled wheel in 126 setup and works fine in programs.

GO figure - I will keep and eye on it to see how long it lasts working well (might disable in gigs to be on safe side for a while). Makes me wonder if shop "replace" years ago was just a cleaning that did not last. Given the shaky history of the wheel I might buy a new wheel assembly unit if it were to go out again (especially if it only stays on a few months like "repair"). Heck might be better if I started using it more...

Posted : 09/05/2018 11:23 am
Share: