Forum

PC3 w/Kore64- sugge...

Notifications
Clear all

PC3 w/Kore64- suggestions for better horn sounds?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi. I do a lot of 70's type soul songs,(EWF, Stevie, etc) and I can't seem to get satisfactory horn section sounds from my PC3. Bought the Kore64 and while it is an improvement, especially with the solos horns, the sections still sound thin to me.
Anyone have any tips for getting fat horn section sounds from this setup? Any particular layering suggestions?

Posted : 22/12/2013 2:39 pm
rockinredeye
(@rockinredeye)

You probably already know this, but, keyboards have a hard time sounding like horn sections. Especially EWF, I would never. My best results come from splitting and voicing, 2 notes of a horn in one hand and 2 note of another horn in the other hand, that kind of thing. KORE 64 horns do help a lot.

Posted : 22/12/2013 10:26 pm
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Right. i'm sure i could do more with voicings but I wish the Kurz sounds worked as well as those on my Yam S90ES. Unfortunately I use that for piano/Rhodes and I use the Kurz for my organ, string, and horn needs.

I work sometimes with a second KB player who gets great brass sounds form a Yam MO6- a relatively inexpensive board. I guess it helps that he's a monster player.

Posted : 22/12/2013 11:49 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

Try combining a synth brass with sampled brass sounds. I learned a long time ago from listening to Gino Vanelli records
that synth trumpets usually sound better than sampled trumpets. I'm attaching my edit of a program that I found here on K-Setlist. Try this, and combine it with other sounds. TZ

Posted : 23/12/2013 7:50 am
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Try combining a synth brass with sampled brass sounds. I learned a long time ago from listening to Gino Vanelli records
that synth trumpets usually sound better than sampled trumpets. I'm attaching my edit of a program that I found here on K-Setlist. Try this, and combine it with other sounds. TZ

Gino always had great sounding records. I'm away from my PC361 but will I be able to use the file you posted? All my others end in .PC3 not .P3K?

Posted : 27/12/2013 9:53 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

Yes, the file will load.

Posted : 28/12/2013 5:32 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

The KORE brass sounds seem to be programmed in a way to play them with both hands on different octaves and sometimes double a note with a different sound (different sounds on different octaves are found in some layouts) or use the left hand as a second/third/fourth voice. It´s not easy to play them spontaneously like you would on a keyboard normally and sound convincing, it´s some kind of special technique to come close to reality. But I think it sounds quite well when you found out how the trick is done.
Doubling a natural brass-sample with a synthetic brass is a way to partly reach that thickness with just one hand. It´s much easier to get a sound "to blow them away" this way. But it´s not the same like I described above. It just seem to be cooler and fatter on first glance. In a mix this might change. Like many original sounds of the PC3 - they start to shine in the mix and place themselves well, without much hassle.
But frankly I would double it with a synthbrass in a live situation. It´s easier to control on a PA, and mostly I need both hands for different things the same time.

Posted : 28/12/2013 10:18 am
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks TZ. That's a really useful sound. I want to add another layer to that sound and have it's volume controlled by MPress. I've been watching tutorial vids but still I can't figure out how to do that. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Posted : 28/12/2013 5:20 pm
Share: