Clear all

PC3K7 Program editing problem?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
umberts
(@umberts)
Topic starter

Hi, I'm new here and I'm sorry to start with a request of help ;-)

I'm fresh owner of PC3K7 (coming from KorgTR, EMU, Roland). I just received the synth, updated the OS, loaded Take6 sounds.
Now when editing, many Programs show layers with strange Keymaps...often "Silence" or "None", while they sounds correctly. Eg. program 306 "Jump! Obx" shows 4 layers all with Keymaps "0 None". The Program any way sounds correctly.

What is wrong?

many thanks

Umberto

Posted : 03/12/2012 3:01 am
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

Some programs have layers that are unnecessary. I have noticed that some layers when soloed do not make sound, but they seem to be linked to the layer above it some how. Hipogrito will probably answer this question in more detail than I can explain it.

It's not a problem per se. Kurzweil's OS offers the most in depth programming compared to the other "big 3" companies.
If you're new to Kurzweil's instruments it will take some time to get used to their way of doing things. The results are worth it.

I think the VAST (analog type emulation programs) require 2 layers to create one layer of sound.

Posted : 05/12/2012 1:24 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hello,

Well, maybe the case you saw is "Cascading" layers... which means that you can hook the end of a layer into another layer and that one to another, and that one to another, etc... that way, you do not only have 4 DSP blocks to use for a particular sound, but as many as you want! So, those cascade layers might not have any keymap assigned but they would do some DSP.

Cascade mode is incredible powerful in the PC3, PC3K.

Have fun!

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 05/12/2012 3:01 pm
umberts
(@umberts)
Topic starter

Many thanks for your comments.
Actually I got in one day a reply from Kurzweil support. Great!

Indeed there are Algs which includes saw/pwm waves on their own, thus they don't need Keymap to play.
( KVA Oscillators). It was my fault not to read the manual entirely before asking questions ;-) but I needed to quckly undertand if I made the right choice buying PC3K7.

Actually I have long experince with various synth, and I like the possibility to edit complex "setup" in one shot...I mean not having 2 steps of editing like being forced to create the Programs you need and then finally the Setup.
Example I want to play splits with 4-5 layers with one of them sounding Monophonic with Portamento. I cannot do this on a PC3K Program (since Monophonic is a Common program parameter and not per layer, strange choice btw...). I can clearly do this in a Setup, but then I may lose the possibility to adjust the Envelope of one Program/Layer...

My old Proteus2000 from EMU was a very programmable machine (even if with clear limitation in resources and sounds) with its Patchcords, etc...

ciao

Umberto

Posted : 09/12/2012 3:22 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

I'm not sure why you view this an issue? BTW you CAN edit it a program while in "setup mode."

Posted : 14/12/2012 1:13 am
umberts
(@umberts)
Topic starter

I know is not really an "Issue", but it is a matter or "integrity" of your sounds set.
I mean, normally in most of the instruments I know a "sutup" uses many "programs" as "link".
If I do modify a program to make my "setup" more effective I should consider that this modification may affect other "setups" linking that "program". Or you will need to save ne programs even for a small change (e.g. just a bit longer decay).

Unless on the PC3K works differntly...

Posted : 16/12/2012 10:35 am
Share: