Clear all

PC3K8 sample memory management

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
rcr60
(@rcr60)
Topic starter

I've had my PC3K8 for about 2 years now and I'm just now getting insufficient memory errors. I have new brass samples I want to load, but am reluctant to just start deleting existing programs/setups and their dependent files to make room without having a clear picture of what sample(s) belong to which program/setup/keymap, etc. I was hoping all of the sample date would xfer over to my PC with all the other data in the Soundtower application, but as I'm sure most of you already know, that application doesn't appear to acknowledge the existence of sample data, much less manage and/or give you usable info on what is associated with what. I have been searching the web and found a program called "Kurzweil Creator" from Chicken Systems Inc. While its primary purpose is to create files for upload, it can read Kurzweil files and display data about them. The online info says it will do .krz, .for, and p3k files, but I found that not to be the case, not yet at least. The following is the conversation I had with them today:
At 09:52 AM 11/16/2017, you wrote:

>So I've downloaded and installed the free version of Kurzweil Creator and attempted to load a .p3K backup file from my PC3K8.

What were you wanting to do with that file?

>There are no options to select this type of file in the program (only K2000, K2500 and K2600) and the load attempt failed.

Right, PC3K isn't supported yet, but although there's a use for it, it can be worked around by simply creating a KRZ file, putting your stuff in there, and then load it into the PC3K.

>The product description says it will load p3k files. What am I doing wrong?

See above, that functionality is going in sooner than later, but there's not a huge need for it (per the explanation above); there are not many PC3K files in which you'd want to work with anyway, and just merging in a new KRZ is a good workaround.

At 02:43 PM 11/16/2017, you wrote:

>What I want to do with that file is determine which loaded samples on the PC3K8 are used by which programs and/or setups, such that I can delete what I don't want or need to make room in the limited 128 Mb of sample storage space in the PC3K8.

That makes sense. That's a good part of why we want to have PC3K support into Kurzweil Creator, but do understand that the priority emphasis of Kurzweil Creator is to create Kurzweil files. Editing is secondary but important, and we much appreciate your request. Sorry the feature isn't in the program yet, but when someone appeals to us, we hurry those features into the app. See below.

>I just finished re-reading applicable portions of the Kurzweil PC3 Musician's Guide, and while it is possible to load KRZ files into the keyboard, it can't export a KRZ file, and even if it could it would not have the ability to store the sample data. As far as I know only a p3k file can hold that type of data.

Right.

>I'd like to buy your program, but only if it can accomplish the task as outlined above. Is this possible?

Our schedule is a bit busy right now, but I've got a little time here and there before the end of the week and I'll tell you how quick we can get full PC3K support in.

Just off the top of my head, I think that Translator Free could help you here - AFAIK that supports at least viewing the .P3K files, and I think that could give that broad overview you are looking for to intelligently edit your PC3K memory contents, although it'd be on the PC3K itself (for now).

So my questions to you all are
(1) Anyone have any experience with "Translator Free"? Will it do what I need?
(2) Anyone use "Kurzweil Creator"? With a PC3Kx?
(3) Any other application out there that can read a p3k file and display meaningful info about it?

Posted : 16/11/2017 9:27 pm
mikeh11
(@mikeh11)
Trusted Member

(3) Any other application out there that can read a p3k file and display meaningful info about it?

There's two other threads on this site that might help you:

Objects in PC3/K file http://ksetlist.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2709
PC3 Factory Objects ... http://ksetlist.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2515

The first one has a link to the Mastering VAST forum (needs registration and subscription), which presents ObjectViewer, which is a tool that runs in a browser.

The second has a link to my own tools here on ksetlist. My tools are command line, and need the Ruby language installed (Macs and Linux have it already). My stuff might not dig deep enough for you. It sounds like you want a cross-reference of sorts - which programs reference what keymaps, and which keymaps reference what sound blocks. Let me think on it... :-)

K2000R 3.87J | MBP 2012 macOS 10.14.6

Posted : 03/12/2017 5:13 pm
Share: