Riffs

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Scott Murrell
(@scott-murrell)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

--I just got my PC3le in and because of surgery to my eye I can't read the manual very well but I have a gig coming up with my duo so so need some help if you don't mind.

I sold my Korg M-50 to get this and the sounds are well I loved my M-50 but this is just so much better, my problem is I used the drum beats a lot in the duo and so far it seems like the only drum patters are for a type of music I can't comprehend. I need regular rock, pop and more sedate rhythms and assigning them to the pads would be great. Especially if I had a clue how to do it! LOL

If these kinds of rhythms aren't available on the PC3le is there someplace I can buy them? Making them myself isn't an option, I am just too challenged to do that! Also about those pads, is it possible to trigger sequences or chords I determined their pitch on with them?

If I get well I promise to learn the manual and pay ya'll back for helping me as if anyone wants to hear 60's, 70's and 80's music anymore. :(

Posted : 15/11/2014 8:57 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Hello,
I don´t own a LE but it might work quite similar like with my PC361.
There are a bunch of drum sequences insider the machine, that are not present in the factorysounds.
Method 1:
Open a new blank setup (choose "internal sounds" as starting point) and give it 2 layers. Now attention, use the SECOND layer and choose a drumset you like. This could be important since you might want to play a keyboardsound on the first layer that keeps all its own effects and controls.
On layer 2, go to page Riff1 and there you can dial thorough sequences. You will find all the sequences inside the PC3, including drums. Some are programmed to work with several drumsets, some with others. They might not work with all, because originally they programmed some drumsets in a different way. Later OS-versions has stuck to notes C, D, E as basedrum, snare1, snare2 and so on.
You have to set the maximum lengh and repeat forever to make the drumset run.
Now you just have to find out how to start and to stop it. Might be different from my PC3.
Method 2:
The PC3 is in mulitmode all the time. You can hop between the channels and play the actual one, while a drumset can run on a different one.
Go to your drumset, go to page "Common" and there you can choose your seqence as "Demo song". In this mode you can´t determin the lenght of the loop and you also can´t change the speed (At least I did not find out how to do it) - the sequence works in it´s own "rights" here.
Save the drumset on a different slot so it holds the different sequence as it´s own.
You can start the sequence, switch to a different layer and play there, while the sequence runs in the background. Be aware, it will use the FX of the momentary chosen sound in front of you.
Have fun!

Posted : 16/11/2014 3:49 am
Scott Murrell
(@scott-murrell)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

--Thank you for your help and advice, I will give this a try...

Posted : 16/11/2014 7:20 am
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

If your playing covers in your gig's, you may want to consider using a standard midi file and just use the drum track from there. Load the smf into song mode, create a setup, take the drum track (usually #10) and put it in the setup you created using the drum program you select (641 is a good general drum) turn on riff 1 and enter your parameters (as well in riff 2), and voila, play away with a nice copy of the original drum parts.
If the original drum track isn't to your liking, it makes a good starting point to edit anything about it, inside the song mode feature,(tempo changes, erasing/adding parts creating count ins etc...)
I think this is the easiest way to utilize a drum accompaniment inside a PC, it is actually a pretty good internal sequencer.

Posted : 16/11/2014 8:07 am
Scott Murrell
(@scott-murrell)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

---Thanks for the advice and sorry for it looking like I just now got back with you. I posted a reply the other day but anyway I do appreciate the help.

Posted : 17/11/2014 9:39 am
Scott Murrell
(@scott-murrell)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

---Slowly but surely getting my eyesight straightened out and am working as much as I can with my incredible keyboard! I have found some examples of drum beats from other setups and will work with those trying to modify them for my use.
I guess my idea of rock drum beats are totally different from those who programmed these but they sound great even if I can't use them as they are. Doesn't anyone program rhythms for old people anymore? LOL

Posted : 20/11/2014 9:20 am
Share: