Forum

SP4-8 Run Diagnosti...

Notifications
Clear all

SP4-8 Run Diagnostics Mode - test Scanner DIAG - with Sp4-7 Data?

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Johannes SP4-8
(@johannes-sp4-8)
Topic starter

Hello everybody,

my first post, having read a few in the past of course.

I am using my SP4-8 since 8 years now, occasionally indeed, its the only full piano I have.

Only recently I for the first time did use the Bootloader / Run Diagnostics Mode. The button and action test "Scanner DIAG“ produced strange Error-results, as it already at entering displays to see 76 keys, with the Model mentioned, „Med-LW76“, indicating that the device "sees" the action from the SP4-7, a Medeli KB76FPU following the specs. Obviously it is 88 keys by Fatar.

The test displays errors. All pitches are wrong (either 7 HT too high, or 1 HT too low). The results for the 2 contact switches per key are fine for the lower action range up to E3 (closing sequentially, although indicated by the wrong pitch), but displaying an error for F3 to C8 (closing at the same time with different pitch vales)

OS is up to date, a factory reset was done also.

Is anyone of you familiar with this? 

Thanks a lot 

Johannes

Posted : 26/02/2021 5:30 pm
Topic Tags
Johannes SP4-8
(@johannes-sp4-8)
Topic starter

Hi again, I thought to add few things to my case.

Details about all the bootloader / run diganistics tests I took from the SP4-7 service manual, I could not find a service manual mentioning the SP4-8 also, but that should be fine obviously, found a file called "sp4-7_sm_3-31-11.pdf". Functions of the SP4-8 bootloader are identical.

I guess it is correct to assume that something in the SP4-8 is wrong, software and/or hardware. So I already wrote to Kurzweil at the beginning of the week about the issue, lets see if they will answer.

In fact I still hope that anyone here is either already familiar with this or would even be willing to execute this Kurzweil-internal hardware test on a SP4-8 for comparison. That were much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Johannes

Posted : 27/02/2021 6:29 am
Johannes SP4-8
(@johannes-sp4-8)
Topic starter

Hello again. Is it correct that the bootloader in the SP4 is more or less a kind of BIOS? So the issue in this case will be linked to the bootloader which was not affected by any update, but coming from the factory?

Waiting for Kurzweil to reply now for three weeks, have sent the request a second time already. Can I expect them to answer? Or will I need to track them down at the next NAMM, whenever it will take place again?

thanks Johannes 

Posted : 15/03/2021 5:59 am
jonsmanoj
(@jonsmanoj)

@johannes-sp4-8

Yes, it's more or like a 'BIOS'. I use an SP4-7 and I have deleted the OS completely and then installed it to fix some scanner-related issues. Though the company suggested a reinstall of the OS, it didn't fix my issue (a delay in scanning when lots of keys are played together) it didn't fix the issue, so I deleted the OS and then installed it - just like you do on a PC with a BIOS.

I feel the issue you see is more or less a scanner bug. The scanner showing a wrong key scan value is not affecting when you play it. Right? If you want me to test anything on my SP4-7, please let me know.

Thanks
Manoj

Posted : 07/04/2021 8:11 am
Johannes SP4-8
(@johannes-sp4-8)
Topic starter

@jonsmanoj

thanks a lot for your feedback.

Actually today I received a first reply from Korea via the kind German Service Center, (~"is the correct OS installed?") and after some related tests I did on the device I now can confirm that the latest OS v2.10 (already from 2012, still on the website) is not correct and the route cause of the issue.

I restored the initially loaded OS v2.0 and in this one all is fine, the boot loader (part of the OS (in opposite to the boot up sequence loaded in the factory)) is the correct one from SP4-8. All relevant parts in the boot loader plus diagnostics are correct and ok, always referring to the SP4-8 and the correct Fatar action. 

Then i newly updated to OS v2.10 again, with a fresh download from the website (but still from 2012). Now the wrong values referring to the SP4-7 were again displayed throughout the boot loader (as described in the earlier posts).

So hopefully the correct OS existed already and can be provided quickly, it really seems to be down to wrong parts in the latest OS v2.10. Lets see how long it may take.

Johannes

Posted : 07/04/2021 10:16 pm
jonsmanoj
(@jonsmanoj)

@johannes-sp4-8

Thank you for the update!

But my question is, is the keyboard otherwise working well? 

My bootloader version is 1.50,
The scanner version is 1.4, K=76 W=128 A=241 Med-LW76
and as you mentioned the Burn in loop fails once per run.

My current OS is 2.10.685

I'm using PC3LE sounds on it and also use SoundTower editor. 

BTW, the mainboard inside SP4-7 is that of PC3LE (with missing RAM and ROM etc!) I had an issue with a broken PCB trace which I fixed recently (I've shared it in another thread)

I'm planning to get a PC4-7 soon! 🙂

Thanks
Manoj

Posted : 09/04/2021 2:26 pm
Johannes SP4-8
(@johannes-sp4-8)
Topic starter

@jonsmanoj

thanks again.

on the SP4-8 the OS is the same version, 2.10.685, and bootloader values  are identical with yours (v1.5 & v1.4; 76 keys Medeli ...). Actually i looked up the KUF software file with windows editor, and you can find 76 keys Medeli related entries, so OS v2.10 for SP4-8 definitely is not correct regarding the boot loader.

Thanks for sharing your tests results. In general I do not get any error messages currently, but this also behaves differently each time (mostly it was due to not having closed the midi path) 

the keyboard action is working correctly it seems, interestingly the midi signal at strongest playing level is always lower than in my midi controller keyboard (tested in XLN software for all velocity settings, vs controlling the SP4-8 with the midid controller).

In general the device creates artefacts in the sound sometimes (fails in processing I assume), and not always in the same situation, mainly depending from chosen sound. It always was like this, and it is hard to derive if that were caused by hardware or software or (both). A recent finding: the Horowitz Piano in the factory banks does add a pad sound when using the Mod-wheel (! ; I will not tell this to Mr. Horowitz), but this is not the case when running the Horowitz Piano from PC3LE library via sound tower editor (yes, I also use this, and I am pretty happy with some of the sounds and options). Sometimes i get the impression it behaves diffenretly on this day then the other. Scaling down the PC3 architecture to the SP4 series seems to having worked out just 99% fine (at least on the 88 keys version). (I do like the Piano, besides all minor issues).

I read your post about the engine board fix, I liked that a lot (my best fix was to refurbish 50 year old phono cartridges carrying the reverb spring in a 60's VOX amp).

so, talk to you soon

J.

Posted : 09/04/2021 3:59 pm
Johannes SP4-8
(@johannes-sp4-8)
Topic starter

still not any reaction from kurzweil yet

Posted : 03/06/2021 10:03 am
Johannes SP4-8
(@johannes-sp4-8)
Topic starter

Finally, thanks to the YC-Kurzweil team. in the meantime the website offers an updated SP4-8 OS, v2.41 (or v2.40 as the editor sees it). the mentioned errors were corrected, correct bootloader included now. The kuf file dates back to 2018, so was already available anyways it seems but never officially released. Solved.

Posted : 05/08/2021 5:02 am
Share: