Clear all

SP6 select Multi via MIDI

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
theDestroyer
(@thedestroyer)
Topic starter

Hi, I’m new to the set automation game and I’m having some issues.
My rig consists of a Yamaha MOXF8, an Arturia Keylab and my new SP6. Each acts as a controller and a tone generator (not the Keylab of course although I might run some soft synths) with a laptop running Cantabile to orchestrate things. On the MOXF8 side I put it into Song Mode like I would if I was using a remote sequencer and I can issue program change commands on the 16 MIDI channels to get the patches I need. How do I do this on the SP6?
I’ve been able to send individual Program changes in Program mode and at a pinch I could manage with Multi mode but I can’t work out what combination of Bank & Program number to use to get a Multi.
Better still can I get the SP6 to respond to Program change commands on each MIDI channel??

Thanks
Richard

Posted : 07/08/2018 10:17 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

When controlled from external MIDI you will have to choose one of the 2:

Program Mode, and then you can control your 16 channels from external. This is the recommended when sequencing or trying to control multiple channels from external.

Multi Mode, setting the Local Keyboard Channel to a channel, and sending regular program changes thru that channel will change Multis. This is recommended if you have all your sounds in multis and you want to change from one to another from external. But this is not recommended if you want to send separate program changes in different channels from external.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 28/08/2018 5:50 am
miden
(@miden)

So does this mean that I need to keep changing this if I want to select what the SP6 does in relation to songs?

IE I send changes from my iPad. Some songs I'll be using a multi for and some songs will juts be a program...so what you're saying is I have to manually change the global setting on the SP6 each time this changes?

That doesn't sound very workable for live gigs?

Posted : 10/09/2018 6:25 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

What I say is that in Live gigs, if you want that kind of control, you should stick to programs or multis.

Many people will just use multis and create multis with just one zone enabled for those that are like Programs.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 11/09/2018 7:58 am
miden
(@miden)

Which is exactly what I am saying, you SHOULD be able to select either/or for any song and NOT have to reset the Global setting simply because you want to use a program instead of a multi. Unless of course there is a sysex message somewhere that will allow one to create a string that changes this status and then selects the parameters needed?

Pretty much every other keyboard I have owned can do this rather simple MIDI operation. It is something I never checked prior to purchase as I assumed (bearing in mind the above) it would just be able to do this.

Anyhoo, it is what it is, so moving on....

Thanks

Posted : 11/09/2018 8:17 am
Share: