Sus & Sus2

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Maybe most of you know this. I suggest using Sus2 (on the layer page) for all piano and string type sounds. Especially if you are using the sounds in a setup. I was one of the people that brought this to Kurzweil's attention years ago on the old Compuserve page. Sus2 functions the same as what most manufacturers use as a default setting.

"Sus" mode latches the sound at whatever sustain level the envelope is at dependent on the Decay/release time.
"Sus2" allows the envelope to continue through the release value.

This will give you better use of the polyphony of the instrument. I'm just sayin............. TZ

Posted : 02/05/2014 9:21 am
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member

VERY interesting.....I'm a guitar player so I barely know what you're saying but I think it makes sense even to me....I'm going to check some of my setups.

Thanks.

Posted : 04/05/2014 4:43 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

With the introduction of 128 voices of polyphony I'm not sure if this is still an issue. Even while using KB3 (with 40 voices of dedicated polyphony) with the piano/strings, that still leaves 88 voices of polyphony. Perhaps recording music with drums, etc. there might be a difference, but for live playing I've not run into a a polyphony issue. But it's good to know the difference none the less.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 06/05/2014 10:18 am
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

>>>With the introduction of 128 voices of polyphony I'm not sure if this is still an issue.<<<

Yes, it still can be an issue. Example: In a setup where I have piano and strings with a long release (sus pedal enabled for both layers). The string sound keeps "latching" as you play and press the pedal. You have notes that should fade away but keep sounding, the result is a cluster of unwanted notes.

Posted : 11/10/2014 8:53 am
Share: