Forum

Sustain Multiple Ch...

Notifications
Clear all

Sustain Multiple Channels with one Pedal (PC3x)

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
francofx
(@francofx)
Topic starter

Hello Ksetlist!

I have a question today:

I use the mentioned Kurz PC3x and another MIDI keyboard to play 2 channels, with different sounds and prg changes.
Question is how can I sustain both sounds (in program mode), only using a single footswitch connected to the PC3x?

Thanks !

Posted : 26/07/2016 10:44 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

With the PC3 series program mode only operates one channel. You pick the channel that you want program mode to operate on. So to be operating on two different channels then by default you must be using a setup. When using a setup you have to decide for each zone in the setup how you want the sustain pedal for that zone to operate.

The scenario you describe does not exist, i.e. you can't be in program mode and be operating on two different midi channels. Perhaps you are using the improper terminology that is not actually describing your issue. A program can have up to 32 layers but each layer is on the same midi channel. To be on different midi channels requires that the arrangement must be done in Setup mode and in setup mode each zone in the setup can be on the same or different midi channels and for each zone you would have to define whether or not the sustain pedal is off or on for that zone. For each zone in the setup go to the FT SW1 tab and set the instructions for the sustain pedal.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 26/07/2016 4:35 pm
francofx
(@francofx)
Topic starter

mr. Dave

Thanks for the reply!

I´ve tweaking a new setup for a good time (5-6 hrs) and i cant get the results i want!

So far:

i have 2 zones, and i need the PC3x keyboard to play only the sound of zone 1 (lets say the piano), white the other keyboard plays the sound of zone 2 (a synth).
What happens is that setting the input channel on zone 2 to Any M (any Midi) achieves the requested above, but the sustain pedal doesn't affect Zone 2. If I change the input (on zone 2) to L+M (Local + MIDI), then the sustain pedal Works on both! But when i play de PC3 master Keyboard, it plays both sounds.

Both zones have the exact same settings on the FW 1 page.
What i´m I doing wrong? :o

Posted : 28/07/2016 10:56 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

mr. Dave

Thanks for the reply!

I´ve tweaking a new setup for a good time (5-6 hrs) and i cant get the results i want!

So far:

i have 2 zones, and i need the PC3x keyboard to play only the sound of zone 1 (lets say the piano), white the other keyboard plays the sound of zone 2 (a synth).
What happens is that setting the input channel on zone 2 to Any M (any Midi) achieves the requested above, but the sustain pedal doesn't affect Zone 2. If I change the input (on zone 2) to L+M (Local + MIDI), then the sustain pedal Works on both! But when i play de PC3 master Keyboard, it plays both sounds.

Both zones have the exact same settings on the FW 1 page.
What i´m I doing wrong? :o

Try your 2nd setting (L+M) for zone 2. In that same zone go to the 'KeyVel' tab and set 'notemap' to off. This will disable the PC3's keybed from triggering notes but still leave the controllers (like the sustain pedal) working. This should give you the desired result.

If you have the original owners manual go to page 7-11 and read section entitled 'Note Map' for an explanation as to what it does.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 29/07/2016 6:54 am
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member

In my setups (and I've done what you're trying to do dozens of times) I always set up my Kurzweil to Local (only) and my external device to midi (only). I don't recall exactly but I probably had to set up the sustain pedal for both programs.

I also would set a slider to control volume of each device and that worked as well - so I know it can be done. I haven't programmed any setups for a few years so I'm a bit rusty. I can look at one tonight when I get home if you're still having issues.

Posted : 29/07/2016 7:44 am
francofx
(@francofx)
Topic starter

Finally Got it!

The notemap setting set to OFF on zone 2 was the only needed thing. The Input setting (L+M, etc) was set to None in both channels. Works a Charm, and so does the independent sliders for each keyboard.

Thanks a lot boys!

Posted : 29/07/2016 12:14 pm
Share: