Clear all

Sustain until another note is played

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Burger
(@burger)
Topic starter

I've recently got a PC3K6 and trying to figure out how to do this. I want a background pad to play when I press the first key, and carry on playing after I release it. Then when I play another note, it will stop playing the first note, and play the new one instead.

Could use the sustain pedal I guess but it seems like a pretty simple thing to do in setup, and I may need the pedal for other layers. But I'm finding it hard to figure it out how to do it, and can't find any instructions for this.

Posted : 22/12/2014 3:34 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

Actually that's sort of what happens when you use the Sostenudo pedal. It plays and holds a single note while the pedal is depressed until the pedal is released. Then you'd have to repeat the procedure for the next note. Useful if you are trying to make this work with a split keyboard though the timing might prove a bit tricky.

Gary

Posted : 22/12/2014 6:40 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

You can do this with sample loops. Set the keymap to mono, assign the samples to the keys you want, make sure one key doesn't have a sample assigned, you can use that to kill the sample loop.

Posted : 22/12/2014 8:14 pm
Burger
(@burger)
Topic starter

Thanks for the ideas, will give them a try. I'm looking at this and wondering how he does it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWzB6QZ18W8

At around 1:05 he starts taking his right hand off, and 1:28 he takes his left hand off too. Both seem to sustain, then at 1:50 he presses another note with his left hand and the pad changes. I can't see any leg movement, or other keys being pressed so I'm guessing he's got it set to automatically sustain until another note is pressed?

Posted : 23/12/2014 1:59 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

There is subtle leg movement in that video. It looks like he is using the sostenudo pedal to me.

In fact all he would be doing is hovering over the pedal and holding it down so there wouldn't be a lot of leg movement. It would all be iin the ankle.

Gary

Posted : 23/12/2014 2:11 am
Burger
(@burger)
Topic starter

Right, thanks Gary. I guess I have some pedal practice to do :)

Posted : 23/12/2014 4:04 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

You're very welcome. It's a very nice piece. I hope you get it down pat.

Gary ;)

Posted : 23/12/2014 7:00 am
splitpink
(@splitpink)

Hi Burger,

I do something similar to this so might be able to help:

I deassign the sustain pedals response to the higher notes/layers used so that the pedal is only holding the pad and your fingers hold the lead notes. If they sound choppy add a bit of release to them. You will see this happen when he lets go with his left hand that is triggering the string pad to use the pitch ribbon. He's missing a few details on this song too, I do the same on my K2600(not X) minus the guitar and know this song intimately.

Hope that helps you.

Posted : 23/12/2014 9:02 am
Share: