Clear all

The Notorious PC3LE Blinking Light Freeze/Crash

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
g.smith
(@g-smith)
Topic starter

i bought a used PC3LE6 on eBay which arrived in excellent cosmetic condition, however shortly after booting up, as i was simply going through the preset programs/voices in Program Mode, all the front panel lights began blinking intermittently and all functions became completely frozen. i was able to escape the freeze up only after re-booting a couple times.

Following this rather disquieting incident, i was able to successfully update the old OS to the latest one available / v.2.26, and have not yet experienced a recurrence of this malfunction. subsequently, however, i have researched this model-specific issue on the internet, and i have discovered numerous accounts from users who have experienced the same exact issue and had it recur even after their PC3LE6 had supposedly been repaired.

having bought the unit used, i fear that, as it is no longer under warranty, the costs of repair and two-way shipping will most probably be prohibitive.

i still have a 10 day time window during which i can return the unit (at my considerable expense) for a refund of the purchase price, which, regrettably, appears to be my best option, unless i am convinced that there is, at least, a good chance that the OS update has solved the problem permanently,

my main question is this: has anyone who has experienced this problem found that, after updating the OS, the problem was permanently eliminated?

i would be most grateful for any info anyone could provide!
thanks & best wishes,
g.smith

Posted : 23/07/2014 1:21 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

This issue is typically a hardware issue. Unless someone is going to fix the problem under warranty I would be inclined to return the unit.
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... /2607655/2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 23/07/2014 3:36 pm
bassistrick
(@bassistrick)

Hi, I had the same problem on a B-Stock PC3LE7 I bought on Ebay. Luckily it was under a "b-Stock" warranty from Kurzweil because after one shop repair the problem still was happening and Kurzweil replaced the entire unit. Big kudos to Kurzweil for their great customer service but had it not been under warranty I fear it would have been a door stop. I would suggest you seriously think about returning it. It's a hardware issue for sure.

Posted : 23/07/2014 4:38 pm
g.smith
(@g-smith)
Topic starter

thanks, so much, everyone for your suggestions. i have, in fact, determined to return the unit for a refund.
unfortunately i am now quite distrustful of this model…just too too many reports of this issue! it's a shame, really…sounds so good, you really want it to work…oh well. i'll probably consider the PC3K6 now, as my research has, thus far, revealed no common issues.

Posted : 23/07/2014 7:02 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

I would agree with you IF the fix for the issue was a part that continues to break, then I'd say the fix is unreliable however this is not the case so I would disagree with your assessment of the situation that the keyboard would be unreliable after the repair is made. Kurz has identified the issue and the fix and has released a service bulletin to correctly identify the issue and the repairs needed.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 25/07/2014 6:41 am
Eclipse69
(@eclipse69)
Eminent Member

I have the same problem right now with my PC3LE7, but I think the problem will be solved with this

http://jirin.web.althan.cz/201705-kurzw ... -solution/

If this resolves the problem, I will write again.

Posted : 24/08/2017 5:57 am
Eclipse69
(@eclipse69)
Eminent Member

Hello again,
The addition to the official Kurzweil service bulletin (about 3.5 years ago) is important, as it obviously does not solve the final blinking problem. This happened with my Kurzweil PC3LE7 - it's no longer a guarantee (I'm the second owner for about 9 months) and the problem becomes serious.
OS is charging successfully, crackling noice for a short while and then no sound at the L, R and headphones. Through my local service center from Kurzweil I was offered to replace the main board ... OMG . :o ... will share my fight with the problem. :arrow:
Regards
Krasimir

Posted : 14/09/2017 12:54 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Dear all,

There last note about this issue sent to the service centers really fix that issue... if done properly. This was sent in 2014 if I remember correctly. But there were prior attempts that didn't. So, if you have this problem, make sure you go to an authorize service center that has all the right information.

Thanks,

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 14/09/2017 9:49 am
Eclipse69
(@eclipse69)
Eminent Member

Dear all,

There last note about this issue sent to the service centers really fix that issue... if done properly. This was sent in 2014 if I remember correctly. But there were prior attempts that didn't. So, if you have this problem, make sure you go to an authorize service center that has all the right information.

Thanks,

Hello Fran,

I would very much enjoy if you have another working idea !!! :idea:

I have no idea how to know that Kurzweil's authorized service is informed :cry:

Thanks !

Posted : 21/09/2017 7:20 am
DaKurz
(@dakurz)

THIS seems to be the ultimate solution for the annyoing blinking problem:

Good luck!

Posted : 16/10/2017 8:01 am
Eclipse69
(@eclipse69)
Eminent Member

THIS seems to be the ultimate solution for the annyoing blinking problem:

Good luck!

Thanks,
but this is the same link I have pointed out in my previous posts and unfortunately it was not useful to me because the problem became serious, it no longer freezes, but there is no sound at the exits. :cry:

Regards, Krasimir

Posted : 17/10/2017 3:59 am
Eclipse69
(@eclipse69)
Eminent Member

I want to boast, I have a Christmas present from HQ dep. of Kurzweil :shock:

The blinking and freezing problem of PC3LE is known to the company and they have decided to send me this cable for free - http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/515617- ... 6280715670.

Of course, the synthesizer does not work again, but I'm happy ..... :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas Holidays

Posted : 18/12/2017 7:26 am
Share: