Clear all

Using Sustain Pedal with Organs

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
DaveintheD
(@daveinthed)
Topic starter

I have the PC3K8. All of the organs are programmed to use the sustain pedal as a Leslie speaker on/off switch. This is great for some applications. What about a set-up where you want to use the sustain pedal for sustaining the organ? Please don't tell me that no one should ever sustain an organ because in a set-up it comes in handy.

Please help. Thank you.

Posted : 13/06/2012 10:50 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

It is very easy to change your KB3 programs to use the sustain pedal.

Ex:

Program 49
Edit
MISC page
Sustain - On
Save it.

I am also guilty of sustaining KB3 programs... but hey, I am just a software engineer :lol:

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 14/06/2012 12:18 pm
DaveintheD
(@daveinthed)
Topic starter

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, while it does add sustain, it doesn't remove the Leslie from the effect...so every time you sustain, you are either activating or deactivating the Leslie. You can shut it off. So then, I'd like to add the Leslie to "aftertouch" but can't figure a way to do it...nor can I even find a way to route the Leslie to a button when you use a KB3 program in a set-up. In program mode, when you turn the sustain pedal on for a KB3 program (and turn the Leslie off from the pedal), it works perfectly fine. You can use the bottons in the top left corner to add the Leslie whenever needed. BUT, when you plug the organ (that was already edited to allow for sustain) into a set-up mode, you can't access the Leslie buttons, or if you can, I don't know how to.

Get what I'm saying? Your solution works fine when playing a KB3 program in program mode.....but the whole point for me, anyway, is that having a sustain on an organ within a set-up comes in handy at times. And for that, I'm still struggling to figure this out.

Posted : 15/06/2012 11:17 am
philskeys
(@philskeys)
Trusted Member

Dave, try this:
1. Do what Fran said about the MISC page
2. Just below that, Change the Leslie pedal to something other than "SUSTAIN"
3. In SETUP, go to COMMON page and set MUTES to KB3 CONTROL. This will make the bank buttons work like they do in PROGRAM mode.
Now you have a choice, you can activate the leslie speed with the usual ROTARY bank button, or plug in a second footswitch and trigger it that way. The Sustain pedal will only "sustain". The downside is you won't have mute buttons.

I also found these:
http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/pc3/program_mode/322/
http://forum.sonikmatter.com/forums/ind ... -pressure/

Posted : 16/06/2012 5:17 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Thanks Phil!

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 16/06/2012 4:14 pm
stopi
(@stopi)

I think the easiest way to control organ programs is using Modulation Wheel for leslie and Sustain pedal for holding sound. I always played this way.

Posted : 17/10/2012 12:47 am
Siacko77
(@siacko77)

I think the easiest way to control organ programs is using Modulation Wheel for leslie and Sustain pedal for holding sound. I always played this way.

I don't use the KB3 often. But now with this, is interesting to get involved.
On the PC3LE6 what shall I do to manage it?
I only have a damper pedal.So the modulation wheel will be perfect for leslie and the pedal for sustain.

Thank you in advance.

Posted : 17/05/2013 12:02 am
thepianoplayer
(@thepianoplayer)

If you want to control the Leslie by way of aftertouch, this is how it's done :-

1) select the desired KB3
2) press EDIT
3) press PROGFX
4) press EDIT
-take note of how many "KB3b" blocks are used in the chain you are looking at. Some chains will use only one, some will use 2.

5) press MOD1, MOD2 or MOD3. You will be looking for one or two free MOD spaces. You need 1 free MOD for each instance of KB3b in the chain above. So if only one KB3b block you need 1 free FXMOD. If two KB3b blocks are used you'll need 2 free FXMODs.

6) IF only one KB3b, create a MOD with the following settings:

Box Param: Adjust: Source: Depth:
2 Speed slow MPress 1

7) IF two KB3b are present, create one additional MOD with the following settings:

Box Param: Adjust: Source: Depth:
4 Speed slow MPress 1

7) Exit and save each time you are prompted.

Posted : 16/02/2016 11:46 pm
billbk
(@billbk)
Eminent Member

Here's another way (from a post I did on Mastering Vast). But you'd want to get a dedicated (switch) foot pedal. If you assign the Modwheel instead, I believe all of your non KB3 programs become monophonic and act weird when you used the MW (haven't tried this with the MW as trigger). I have 3 pedals (I use pedal 3 for leslie) so I don't mind having a pedal dedicated just to leslie control, as I use KB3 a lot:

I modified my internal setup (with help from Jean at support@kurzweil) so that all of my KB3 programs can have the leslie controlled by footswitch 3 (or whichever footswitch you want to use). I use 'momentary' - pedal down and the leslie speeds up. Release, and it goes back to slow leslie). Real slick as it keeps your hands free and lets you micro control the leslie with just a light touch, plus whenever you're in those situations where there is a wall of sound due to band mates and you can't hear what speed is being engaged, this makes it foolproof. You don't have to look for a lighted switch to know where the speed is at (if your foot is pressing down, it's fast). Works for the organs in both program and set ups. You do however have to be willing to give up that pedal for use in all non KB3 programs as it will turn those non KB3 channels monophonic when the pedal is pushed. I have the 2 other pedals so I can live with that. I haven't noticed any problems with any other programs or setups due to this change.
To do the modification:
1. Go to MIDI mode
2. Control Setup should be on #126 "Internal Voices"
3. Press XMIT (it will probably be there already)
4. Hi-lite the Control Setup and press Edit / you'll get a warning message - say YES
5. Press FT SW3 (or whatever footswitch you're going to dedicate to this function)
6. Set OnValue & OffValue to Legato (#68)
7. Press Exit and Save (I renamed the setup to "KB3 Pedal", saved as #1025 (or whatever number you want)
That's it. If you want the damper pedal to act as sustain for these organ programs:
Go into each individual organ program & made it so the damper pedal (pedal 1) acts as a sustain pedal.....I know I know, that's not true to a Hammond - tough.
To do this, go to the MISC page, set SUSTAIN to ON, and Leslie Pedal to to None

For some reason this setup gets disabled (for either the programs or the setups that use a KB3 program - I can't remember which it was) once in a while for no reason that I can think of (even when "KB3 Pedal" is still there in the setups). I found that setting Master Lock to ON, and saving the Master Table object keeps that from happening (here are the manual sections for that):

With Master Lock set to Off, the PC3K will save the current Master mode configuration when
you exit Master mode (or MIDI mode). This information is stored in a Master Table object (see
Save on page 11‐18 below for more details on what is saved with a Master Table.)
If you have a particular Master configuration that you would like to safeguard against the autosaving
feature, set Master Lock to On. With the Master Lock on, the PC3K does not save any
changes unless you press the Save soft button. Note that if you would like Master Lock to stay
on next time you turn on the PC3K, you must press the Save soft button to store the state of
Master Lock to the Master Table.

Pressing the Save soft button saves the Master Table object, which saves many important PC3K
settings as defaults. Since the Master Table is always saved when exiting Master Mode (or MIDI
mode,) the Save soft button is only needed in order to save when Master Table Lock is on (see
Master Table Lock (Master Lock) on page 11‐3)

The Master Table saves the current configuration of the pages in Master mode. The Master Table
also saves default settings for which program is selected on each of the 16 channels in Program
mode (note that these channel settings are often altered by loading a song in Song mode.) The
current channel and program selected in Program mode when the Master Table is saved will be
loaded by default the next time the PC3K is powered on. The Master Table saves settings from
MIDI mode for the Transmit, Receive, and Channels pages. The Master Table also saves settings
for “favorite” programs (see the User Interface Basics chapter, page 3‐4.) Lastly, the Master Table
saves settings for the Master Effects page in Effect mode.
Only one Master Table object can be saved in the PC3K’s internal memory, and this should be
sufficient for most users. For users who wish to save alternate Master tables for quicker access to
different system configurations, the object must be saved to an external device (see the Storage
Mode chapter.)

Posted : 17/02/2016 8:14 am
Share: