11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
dischneider
(@dischneider)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

after upgrading from 61-key instruments, heaviest weight 12 kg, my PC3LE8 is about 30 kg with playable case bottom.

I have used an 3-tier quiklok equal the QL690, an 2-tier frame stand like jasper 2D-120 and some realy simple x-stands with the previews keyboards.

Now I want to use the PC3LE8 as single instrument, maybe with an ipad, so a holder would be nice.

At home I prefer to sit while playing, live I prefer to stand up, so both heights have to be possible.
Really nice I'm thinking about a truss-stand like Jordan Rudess was playing, but rotatable is not an option to me.

So what kind of stands you are using? I habe read many criticals about stands: not stable enough, not practicable because of tools needed for setting up and so on.

Please let me know your experiences to prevent a fault at buy.

Thanks!

Dirk

currently: Kurzweil PC3LE8, Korg N5
previous: Yamaha DX7, Korg DW-6000, Yamaha SY22, Akai sg01p

Posted : 21/05/2016 2:40 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

I gigged w/ a GEM Equinox 88 key (72 pounds 33kg) for 10 years using a double braced X stand (Quiklok). Never had one issue. Solid as a rock. I even added a 2nd tied 50 pound keyboard. No issues.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 21/05/2016 4:45 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

I use an Onstage 2 tier Z stand at home with a PC3K8.

They also have a single tier model.

Rated for over 300 lbs it's rock steady and breaks down in minutes for transport. Lots of open space down below for pedals as well.

http://www.amazon.com/-Stage-KS7365EJ-H ... B0002F6JH6

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-KS7350-Heav ... B000LCRP14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIX2nuV9eU

Gary ;)

Posted : 22/05/2016 3:32 pm
dischneider
(@dischneider)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for your suggestions.
I think thats was'nt still what I'm looking for.

The X-Stand I don't like, I own two pieces of X, my fav for mixer and additionals, not for keys.
The Z looks interesting, but complicated because of many pieces to transport separately.
And is much to expensive, in germany or with delivery to it is about 408 $ (367 Euro), this is the 2 tier.

And I think I will need an additional holder for my iPad, it is to buy too.

Posted : 24/05/2016 2:54 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

That's a ridiculous price. I paid about $150 CDN for mine taxed and shipped.

My advice is to take a look at Thomann.de and see what they have available in Z stands.

They don't have to be broken apart completely for transport either. Usually it's simply good enough to fold back the arms and feet and it folds flat to a rectangle for easy transport.

Gary ;)

Posted : 24/05/2016 3:42 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

Thomann.de has hundreds of stands in all shapes and price ranges.

http://www.thomann.de/de/search_dir.htm ... dst%E4nder

I'd also advise avoiding X stands and Ultimate stands as well.

The Jaspers look solid and reasonably priced in Europe so I'd suggest looking at those.

Gary ;)

Posted : 24/05/2016 3:53 pm
dischneider
(@dischneider)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thomann is my favourite seller, I bought some pieces there.
Often there is no max weight for the stands at seller page, so you have to search for more informations and experiences. Thats why I'm asking here.
Ultimate AX series is really an eyecatcher I like. Bur I have read about broken tier arm holders, so I'm unsure.
Next part I like to use the kurzweil within a case, so its some bigger then the single instrument.
The Jasper are nice to, but the D series I own (or something similar) is t small, its only 120 cm range, the kurzweil is withour case 144 cm. And the other series are two or three tier, I only need one tier and a pad or charts holder.

Dirk

Posted : 25/05/2016 3:20 pm
titaanzink
(@titaanzink)

I am using an Ultimate Stand Apex with the 18" arms and super-clamp for my PC3K8.
This is the most stable configuration I have ever used and is perfect for heavy keyboards.
Pre-Kurzweil - for years I have had one of Roland's master keyboards on it and that keyboard was even heavier than the PC3K8.

Posted : 28/05/2016 11:17 pm
dischneider
(@dischneider)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for this posting.
Is it an older or a new Apex, like written before there are users telling about broken clamps because of materials problems with the newer one.
Dirk

Posted : 29/05/2016 1:42 am
titaanzink
(@titaanzink)

Hi Dirk, I can only speak from personal experience and must admit that I was a little apprehensive at first to put a 30kg keyboard on two bars. But again - that personal experience has shown me that it works fine. The stand is 5+ years old. I cannot comment on what someone may have read in a forum somewhere and I am not aware of any structural problems with Apex. They are a long running successful company. The best advice I can give you is to find a shop that has several brands and models in stock and inspect, try-out and compare warranties...

Posted : 29/05/2016 9:35 pm
scradley1960
(@scradley1960)
Eminent Member

I use a hercules Z stand. It's pretty easy to fold down and as solid as a rock.

Brad
(Kurzweil PC3K8, Roland VR-760, Alesis Vortex Keytar, Peavey KB-300 Amp)

Posted : 07/06/2016 9:02 am
Share: