0 Likes
15.1 K Views
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi,

Let's hear it directly from you, why did you choose to buy a Kurzweil keyboard?

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 08/06/2017 6:09 am
rockinredeye
(@rockinredeye)

Original PC3-76 here. Nine years ago I was looking for a single solution to using 3 keyboards. The PC3 had everything I needed and a good enough sounding organ which has been much improved since then. Wonderful machine!

Posted : 08/06/2017 12:06 pm
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

Original PC3-76 here. Nine years ago I was looking for a single solution to using 3 keyboards. The PC3 had everything I needed and a good enough sounding organ which has been much improved since then. Wonderful machine!

Same here... I switched then to PC3-61 with a weighted keyboard added in order to play piano parts. Best setup for my needs ;)

Posted : 09/06/2017 5:58 am
romain
(@romain)
Estimable Member

THE SOUND !!! and the low price...It's a fantastic workstation (i have a PC3K8) :D

Kurzweil PC3K8 / Roland KC60x2 / Samson Servo200 / Denon DN500R / Alesis Elevate 6 / Lexicon MX300 / SUB88A LD Systems / Behringer DEQ2496 / Aphex Exciter.
My website: http://deschampsromain3.wixsite.com/kurtsolo

Posted : 10/06/2017 6:06 am
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

I bought a PC3K8 4 years ago for a terrific discount. The CDN Dollar was high at the time and the dealer gave me a substantial discount on a floor model. I was originally looking at a PC3LE8 but the difference with all the discounts was only $700 more so I bit the bullet and went for the K model instead.

I was also very impressed by the online reviews as well as the recommendations of some people on the keyboard forums.

Long story short, mine has performed flawlessly for the past 4 years and I haven't regretted it since.

However, if I were in the market for an 88 key workstation today I doubt I would buy another Kurzweil. Between the sky high price of the Forte and the weight of these monsters and the totally useless Soundtower Editor there are better choices I could make from Roland or someone else these days. I really have no need for an onboard sequencer and use a computer DAW for my compositions and since I already own a Juno DS61 for kicking around I'd probably go for the DS88 if I had to replace my Kurzweil in a hurry.

Also neither here nor there, but most of my gear budget these days goes on modules and analogue and virtual analogue keys and drum boxes these days anyway.

Gary ;)

Posted : 10/06/2017 1:28 pm
eibinger
(@eibinger)
Estimable Member

I prefer Kurzweil because of a maximum in stage-performance: the usability is very simple, the sounds are strong in the band-context and the community of kurweil-friends is very friendly and helpful.
Though I also have a Nord5d/73, I love my sp4/7. The weight is perfect for gigs and in combination with my Hammond SK-1/61 I do not miss anything.

As a keyboarder in a cover-band I try to use "the original sounds" of the "real stars" and in the 60s, 70s, 80 and 90s they used Kurzweil (and Yamaha and Roland) but they didn´t use Nord-Samples.

Looking for "dirty sounds" I play the real Hammond and I play a real Kurzweil.
I considered several times to buy an Artis oder a Forte, but the SP4/7 is best for me.

Thanks for this great hard- and software!

Thomas
(from Germany)

Posted : 11/06/2017 4:19 am
Bartosz
(@bartosz)

I own PC3K7 + KORE64. I've chosen it mainly due to following reasons:

• huge control over the sound and sound setups
  • orchestra/string section
  • good selection of classic instruments like Hammonds, Mellotrons, ...
  • I've heard/read many times that Kurzweil sounds sit well in the mix ;)
  • I've heard/read many times that Kurzweil has a great community support - like these forums!
  • [/list:u:2lqjc58v]

Although you haven't asked I'll share with you also what was, on the other hand, disappointed me after I already bought this instrument and spent some time with it:

• Seeing such huge number of factory programs, I expected excellent variety of sounds. It's not bad (if you have KORE 64), but I really miss having out-of-the-box more ethnic sounds, more soft/ambient pads (overall pads selection seems to be on average level), "special effects" like thunder, rain, etc. Hopefully, this can be mitigated via program editing and sampling.
    • Not having complete categorized program matrix is really uncomfortable. At some point, programs stop to be sorted by category and finding some sounds take lots of time since I have to scroll over the list of programs again and again. Every time in such situation I have to either remember/write down the program id or add it to the quick-access list.
    • [/list:u:2lqjc58v]

But in general I really enjoy my Kurz keys. :)

Posted : 11/06/2017 1:25 pm
ahutnick
(@ahutnick)
Eminent Member

I bought a Forte because of it's built in sound quality and also there has been a lot of updates to it in the time it has been released!

Posted : 11/06/2017 1:53 pm
ioannes
(@ioannes)
Trusted Member

Many years ago I bought the stage piano PC2X, I chose amid Kurzweil, Roland, Yamaha. Later on I had to do another choice... a 'small' 61 keys machine to use for musicals; it was Kurz again (PC3K6) because of its impressive orchestral sounds and price/quality ratio.

ciao !

Kurzweil PC3K6 Kurzweil PC2X Kawai MP5 Korg M50 ("B" team: GEM S2; Yamaha CP-30 - Ex: Yamaha PSR8000, Korg DS8, Korg DW6000, Roland D50, Roland Jupiter-4) - http://jcsbinasco.wordpress.com/la-band/

Posted : 14/06/2017 1:29 pm
afr
 afr
(@afr)

I chose the FORTE mainly for the sound, big deep and FAT!

Orchestrals are simply awesome

If I can wish something more in the future,is the possibility to use the multitimbral mode without care about FX management

16 parts with an own FX unit

Posted : 19/06/2017 5:54 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member

1. Piano keys - I prefer this when playing - although softer synth keys are good for hammond (you cant have everything though)
2. Sounds - Piano, Electric Pianos, Clavs and Orchestral / strings / ensemble are also great.
3. As above emulations of old sounds and also this forum were part of the decision to go Kurzweil

The only I have had to add is a Neo Vent mini Organ - which now adds amazing authenticity to Hammond and Rhodes sounds , that for he first time in a long time - I am happy with my setup.

What I dont like - the weight of the PC3 LE6 very heavy compared to the very light Korg x50 I had before for gigs.

eCommerce software that lives in the cloud and can be used on multiple websites at the same time (FaceBook #1 ecommerce app) , physical products and digital / sound / audio / downloads - and it's FREE http://www.ecwids.co.uk

Posted : 21/06/2017 11:29 am
ahutnick
(@ahutnick)
Eminent Member

Should also mention that I plan on getting on getting the Forte 7 as it definitely is more compact than the 8 at some point in the foreseeable future and then I will end up selling the 8 when I get the 7.

Posted : 22/06/2017 6:46 pm
DaveBeta
(@davebeta)
Eminent Member

Short version : VAST.

Longer version : When the K2000 came out, I was a bit underwhelmed as it seemed a bit of a hobby synth to keep adding options and the OS pre-v3 was a bit weird. By v3 it was solid and simply sounded better than the other synths. I ended up owning 2xK2000, K2000R, RG150 (for a bit of piano love), 2xK2500R, K2661 and then finally persuaded the UK distributer to let me at the PC3 when it was released. Then, 2xPC3, PC2R, PC3K6,7 and 8, and, finally, a Forte7 (looks a little funny but is a brilliantly practical size). I've also had _LOTS_ of other gear over the years but since moving to the PC3, I've mainly used a Kurz as my main board - often just the Kurz.

I'm still discovering things in VAST but I know where most of it is and can move about it fairly quickly. I can put together quite complex patches quite quickly and am currently loving the step sequencer in the Forte - arguably less powerful than the full sequencer of old, but much more useful to me. I adore the 6octave weighted keys I have now and would never go back to the semi-weighted (Note: if you guys build a new workstation, then why not make the keybed interchangable for a semi / weighted and make it a distributer-based optional upgrade. Just saying ... )

Also, the adage "it's the sound" may be a cliche but it's true - Kurzweils don't have the slight 'metallic' sound you get in things like the Kronos (which is almost a perfect board), they sound softer and clearer. And the multisamples for pianos and EPs just seem to play naturally for me. Also, the effects on programs don't swamp the sound - which means that I don't need to spend time turning them off/down (like I do on the competitors).

Patch overlapping was a big plus as well - the big boys may do it now, but for a long time they didn't. And the voice stealing on Kurzweils is much more intelligently implemented. Whilst it may be less applicable now, it still can happen.. (although less so for me on the Forte as the KB3 comes free - which is fantastic). The keybeds have always felt good. And the build quality has always impressed me - gear has to feel solid if you're going to use it live day in day out. Stupid little details like balanced outputs impress me as well.

er ... I'm a bit of a fan ... ;)

Posted : 23/06/2017 6:06 am
stokkanda
(@stokkanda)

I never used Kurzweil before. Mostly Roland, Yamaha and Korg... Last couple years I´ve been through Roland FP-80, Korg SV-1 and Roland FA-08 - except from the SV-1 none felt like a good live board... I saw a youTube video with Mike Garson with David Bowie and heard that piano sound from a Kurzweil. Found a store having a few Kurzweils. Tried both PC3K8 and the Artis. When I got to test the Artis I just knew it was right.. The keys and yes the piano sound... They didn´t have the Forte, but ended up with a great deal for the Artis. Now my rig is the Artis and Crumar Mojo61 on top... A great combination for blues, rock and even with a David Bowie tribute band I´m in. Great live board. Love that factory sound and the easter egg is of course the editor and ability to edit and customize the sounds. It´s under-valued I think.

Posted : 24/06/2017 4:26 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi,

All the answers are really interesting!!! Please keep them coming!!!

Thanks,

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 26/06/2017 12:52 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: