Forum

Another happy Kurzw...

Notifications
Clear all

Another happy Kurzweil user checking in...

1 Posts
1 Users
1 Likes
OldKeyJock
(@oldkeyjock)
Topic starter

Hello boys and girls,

I've been playing all my life basically, with my first bands in my teens and had my first paid gigs (covers) when I was 19-20, lugging around organ, Leslie, Rhodes, and a bunch of synths, spent a good part of the 90's a key for hire, and ended up having owned buttloads of stuff through my life.

Fast forward, decided to stop playing in the end in the late 90's, became a web developer and all of a sudden had real money, and though I built a little production studio in my flat, with MPC-60 (Linn upgraded), Nordlead II, AKAI S6000 (fully upgraded) and a bunch of other stuff, I ended up with Protools 7 when that came out, and sold all the hardware gear (and lost a ridiculous amount of money.. haha).

Met "the love of my life", in 2004ish, moved in together, and basically during the years after, I stopped fully with the music, wrote some stuff, got a few things published, but nothing really that I was taking to my heart and continued building on.

Now divorced since 2019, and back on the block!

First thing I bought, to practice and get my hands back, was a Korg-Sp280, grew out of it within a year, and then really didn't know which direction to go, bought a bunch of Synths, KingKORG, Prologue 16 (amazing machine!), Argon8 and an amazing little half rack unit emulating Hammond & Leslie better than anything I've ever tried, called HX3 from a German company, but still, I needed a mothership....

Back in the late 90's I was in a band with another keyboardguy as well, I was the vintage retro junk guy, and he spent all his money on new digital stuff, including a k2000. I've always been familiar with the Kurzweil world, but as I've been so far away from it for more than a decade, I had no idea what was going on nowadays.

Some month ago, still not found something to replace the SP-280 with, I stumbled over a PC3 76 keys in a pawnshop online (I live in Spain, originally from Sweden), and the price was really good, less than 800 euro, and they give 2 years warranty and free shipping...

Spent that night on YouTube and Google, and some day later I grabbed it.

Why oh dear why, didn't I know about this machine before...

I have tried to explain to my musician friends, it's probably like when a guitar player finds that Stratocaster from 19xx that Jimi Hendrix took a wee on, or something, that just fits right into your hands and becomes an extension of your hands, this is the feeling I get with the PC3.

Running the Velocity curve on the "Piano something" (I'm not at home right now), and even if the keys are physically less heavy than the SP-280 (which in the end I couldn't stand as there's only 3 velocity curves and doesn't make anyone happy...), it's just perfect, I feel like this machine is like that strat, an extension of my fingers and me!!

So now I can't wait to get back home again from christmas celebrations, and get back to my baby!!

Posted : 24/12/2021 9:25 pm
Diwine.UK reacted
Share: