10cc I'm not in love/B. Joel "Just the way you are"

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
aammoonnss
(@aammoonnss)
Topic starter

Hi Kurzies,
I'm wondering if anybody would know which one of the VAST samples and algorithms and FX would be suitable to attempt to recreate the "wall of voices" which can be heard in these two songs. The empiric structure by which this 256 polyphonic "pad" has been created is very well described in this wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Not_in_Love

I'm pretty sure the PC3K is able to emulate something like that by starting from scratch with an in-memory human voice sample, but any clues from people smarter than me are very welcome (that means potentially a lot of replies). Thanks!

Posted : 25/11/2013 3:10 am
philskeys
(@philskeys)
Trusted Member

For "Just the Way You Are" I kept it very simple:
20 Duke's Dyno rhodes
201 Mixed choir

Posted : 25/11/2013 3:16 pm
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

Hi Kurzies,
I'm wondering if anybody would know which one of the VAST samples and algorithms and FX would be suitable to attempt to recreate the "wall of voices" which can be heard in these two songs. The empiric structure by which this 256 polyphonic "pad" has been created is very well described in this wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Not_in_Love

I'm pretty sure the PC3K is able to emulate something like that by starting from scratch with an in-memory human voice sample, but any clues from people smarter than me are very welcome (that means potentially a lot of replies). Thanks!

Not sure why your asking for this as it is already done, 10cc is listed in the set list after the letter Z.

Posted : 25/11/2013 6:23 pm
aammoonnss
(@aammoonnss)
Topic starter

Hi guys,
Thanks for your replies but it's not exactly what I was asking. I'm not wishing to reproduce the Rhodes part, but rather the background vocal pad, which has been created by several layers of human voice overdubs. I would like to find a way to make it sound thick, rich and textured like in those two songs (i.e. by making it *not* simple). This is a pure VAST synthesis question. Thanks!

Posted : 01/12/2013 12:03 pm
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

The way I´d approach it:
Make a choir-sound by layering different samples, maybe in different ocatves (the last just maybe, may sound too much). I´d go for the "jazzchoir" samples basically.
Try until you are close to somehwat "basic" version of what you want.
Now take a stereodelay and adjust it in a way so layers several versions of your basic sound with different note on´s.
Sorry I did not actually "hear" your example now, but I know it from the radio.
As far as I remember there is some "uhh-ba baba" and up and down swell in it. You may come closer to that with switching samples (velocity or other controler) and aftertouch (swell).
Don´t try to run after an "exact copy", better choose something that you can play comfortably on stage.

Posted : 03/12/2013 10:34 am
Share: