Clear all

J Geils - Centerfold

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
ChrisDespo
(@chrisdespo)
Topic starter

I've been using an organ patch for the intro because I just can't seem to nail the intro sound ... anybody have any decent patches for it? Here's what I was able to dig up from other forums on the net about the sound from somebody who jammed with Seth Justman (keys player with J Geils) and asked him how the intro sound was made:

""As regards Centerfold...that intro lick is a combination of Prophet 5 and Yamaha CS-80 sounds, along with multilayered harmonica. The CS-80 was a fantastic synth that I really got deeply into. Thick, powerful, muscular sounds as well as delicate nuanced sounds. Anyway, that's the scoop on the intro.""

Thanks all!!!!

Chris
-PC361
-Korg Triton ProX
-MicroKorgXL

Posted : 17/04/2013 11:29 am
aellison62
(@aellison62)

Chris,

I know this song well !

It definitely has a "reed" sound to it, like a harmonica or even an accordion ,but not as detuned. The driving waveform would probably be a sawtooth or PWM. Try other reed-like keymaps similar to that. But I would also try to add a sync lead as a mixer waveform because it would give that " in your face, upfront"quality to cut thru. It also has a pitch bend going on (maybe portamento?)

Posted : 17/04/2013 6:38 pm
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

There may be also some overdrive or distortion in it. I guess the PC3 has a distorted blues-harmonica in it´s factory set. Should come close without any work in programming.

Posted : 18/04/2013 2:34 am
ChrisDespo
(@chrisdespo)
Topic starter

Thanks aellison62 ... yeah, you're right, I think adding a saw layer would prob help get the sound closer than just trying to mix in some "reed" sounds ... The pitch bend I'd probably be better off trying to play it with the pitch wheel than programming it in using portamento ... Appreciate the feedback!

Kaffimusic - Good idea ... I'm gonna mess with adding different layers and try that one out with it ...

I'll post if I get something close to the sound ...

Take care!

Chris

Posted : 18/04/2013 6:45 pm
Share: